Gibson Brands Forums

not realy sure :S

centurion

Hi there [thumbup] i was looking for specs about the 68 reissue to, when i came accros this site: I bought 1 today it was sitting in a store for 8 years behind glass that's what ive heard from the shop keeper. After holding it and playing it i was like wow! that is 1 bad arse guitar with some body weight and a thick neck. And i started the resurse on were it was made and if it is real, still is a mistery. So what i did when i got home was that i untied all gold plating to see if i could find something to help me besides the serial number that i could not retrace acurate, At the backs of all gold hardware was the name of the ingraver the date and the number #40 .So now i atleast got something more to research with,. besides that it was bit funny becouse some parts he did he marked 8-28-03 and some at 8-29-03 (it seems he worked on the pieces for more day's) with the name and forgive me if ima wrong couse its bit hard to read but the name say's: Donel or (Danel) (thounkey)? . Anyhow the man did a great job it looks great, now if some one could tell me if the serial number:033648 is authentic i would be a happy man i got the certificate to but you never know and all info would be a help.

cheers all [thumbup]

It would be worth a call to Gibson Customer Service and give them the serial number. My guess is that it is one of the guitars done for the 10th anniversary of the Custom Shop, which would have been 2003. I might be wrong but I think the engraver's name was Darrel. He is no longer with the Custom Shop but did some fantastic work. Some of the work was started one day and finished another day so the date is the day he finished the piece. The policy for a cert. is that you have to be the original owner with proof of purchase and return the guitar to the Custom 'Shop for them to verify the guitar. Those 10 anniversary guitars were beautiful. Gibson 24/7 support number: 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

Archived