Gibson Brands Forums

L-5 - Help Dating - No Serial Pre-1949

buranto

Howdy all,

I came across this old L-5 recently. It belonged to the Tritt (or Pritt) Singers of West Virginia, originally. The serial sticker is long gone so I have been searching for ways to determine the year it was made. I see from the logo style that it was before 1949 but can't figure out anything more. Thanks and I hope you all like seeing this instrument. The paint has been rubbed off on part of the T that formed Tritt (or Pritt) Singers. It is in great shape for a guitar that was played a lot. It has no cracks and seems all original. The side is bulging out a little in a spot under the binding and one of the tuners is not original. Yes, those letters are painted on. Looks like oil paint. The finish checking seems to go right through the painted letters in some spots. Any thoughts on whether to remove the paint, too? I am happy to post more photos if I need to. Thanks!

post-35617-089787500 1315011719_thumb.jpg

post-35617-035004600 1315011727_thumb.jpg

post-35617-056255200 1315011733_thumb.jpg

post-35617-066491100 1315011741_thumb.jpg

post-35617-030264900 1315011749_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like this is in the 1945-1947 period. It's got that beautiful late-40's sunburst color with the rich reddish tone. The pickguard is not original (the original probably decomposed and released that nasty gas, which would account for the oxidation and discoloration of the gold plating on the tailpiece and tuners). I would NOT attempt to remove any of that paint. It's part of the guitar's history now.

I would agree with the dating - 1945-49, but disagree about the paint. I would try and remove the painted letters and restore it to original (or as close as possible) condition. Be nice to get the hardware re-plated & some of the tuner buttons replaced. See if you can see any numbers written inside the guitar with a flashlight & inspection mirror. Gibson often wrote the factory order number (FON) under the top somehwere near the sound holes. That would help to date it without having the original serial number.

If the paint could be removed without damaging the finish, then I might agree. Otherwise, just leave it alone. It is what it is, and it's part of this particular instrument's history.

It would be a mistake to re-plate the gold hardware. Totally eliminates the patina and takes away the vintage personality. This tailpiece could be cleaned and buffed up. If you wanted it really shiny, you could put on a brand new tailpiece (if you don't have to drill any new holes), and keep the old tailpiece, but do not re-plate a vintage tailpiece on a great old guitar like this! Come on, Paul! [thumbdn][smile]

Archived