Gibson Brands Forums

ES-355 VOS w/Bigsby vs ES-355 w/Bigsby

wheels105

Hello people,

I am looking into buying either a Gibson ES-355 VOS w/Bigsby in Antique Faded Cherry or a Gibson ES-355 w/Bigsby in Antique Red.

Looking at the specs on various websites I can't see much difference apart from the colour and finish.

Just looking for a bit of a comparison to make a decision eather way.

Thanks for any help.

Hey man,

By your description, the only differance between the guitars that you're considering is the color? Either the antique cherry or vintage red? If this is the only differance between the two guitars the only consideration is personal preferance of the subtle differance between the colors. There's no right or wrong answer, just your preferance. Both are beautiful.

I have a 2007 ES 355 with Bigsby. The two differant color variations confuse me, but mine has the more claret translucent red coloration. She's a beautiful looking guitar, but i prefer the tone and simplicity of my ES 335 now.

The differance between the 335 and 355 is largely cosmetic. The 355 is visually and physically heavier as the Bigsby adds physical weight whilst the luxurious appointments adds 'visual weight'.

The 'upgrades' the 355 boasts over the 335 is the Bigsby, triple ply binding, large bound headstock, block inlay ebony fretboard and gold hardware.

Both guitars are awesome; the right one for you simply relates to your personal taste [thumbup]

Richard

Further to my last post, the 'VOS' is just a finish option and will have no impact on tone.

VOS stands for 'vintage origional spec' and is really just a subtle aging of the guitar. The finish has a mild rubbed back look and the hardware will have mild tarnishing to it.

I have two guitars with the VOS finish and really prefer that look. To me, it just adds a little bit of character which will be built upon from personal use.

Again . . . it's just cosmetic and a matter of personal preferance.

Richard

Hey Andy,

Congratulations on your purchase mate. Your new guitar looks HOT! Nice choice [thumbup] I really love the VOS finish on it. If you've got some close ups i'd love to see them.

Funny thing, my 355 & 335 both supposedly have 57 classic pickups mounted in them, yet sound VERY differant to each other. Not sure what the story is with that.

Here's a pic of my 355

post-1001-002601300 1315541070_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am partial to the gloss finish although both guitars are real works of art when it comes down to it. You're lucky to own a work of art that also has killer tone! I just ordered a figured maple ES-355 without the Bigsby but with a TP-6 instead in Vintage Sunburst. I should have in a few months and will post pix when I get it.

Archived