Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt EF500RA neck VS AJ500RE?

Natalia

Quick question for the folks who played both EPIPHONE Masterbilt AJ500RE and EF500RA.

I have been playing EF500RA and absolutely love it for finger-style, but have some trouble producing clean and bright bare chords past 5th fret.I'll be needing something for the stage soon...strumming mostly. So, put my eye on the AJ500RE.

My music store doesn't keep those in stock to play around with. Can you share your experience with the guitar? I heard the neck has a 'C' profile and is 11 1/16 nut?

I looked on the youtube for tone comparison - no luck. Maybe someone here has a vid? That would be awesome! :)

Quick question for the folks who played both EPIPHONE Masterbilt AJ500RE and EF500RA.

I have been playing EF500RA and absolutely love it for finger-style, but have some trouble producing clean and bright bare chords past 5th fret.I'll be needing something for the stage soon...strumming mostly. So, put my eye on the AJ500RE.

My music store doesn't keep those in stock to play around with. Can you share your experience with the guitar? I heard the neck has a 'C' profile and is 11 1/16 nut?

I looked on the youtube for tone comparison - no luck. Maybe someone here has a vid? That would be awesome! :)

Some of the information you seek is on the Epi website. Here it is, best I understand it anyway: the AJ500RE has a 1 11/16 nut and a "C" profile neck. The EF500RA models have 1 3/4, as you know, and a I think a "soft V" neck profile.

...also, vids and reviews are also available on the Epi website--the closest AJ model shown there, it seems though, is just the acoustic AJ500R.

...also, vids and reviews are also available on the Epi website--the closest AJ model shown there, it seems though, is just the acoustic AJ500R.

Thanks you. I've looked for some sample vids of AJ500RE's sound, but alas.....unsuccessfully. Could you kindly point me to them? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a recent but used AJ500ME. Technically same guitar, different body wood.

The neck seems to be about the same as the typical shallow C on the PR5E and others, but it feels a bit different because of the low-gloss mat finish.

Dunno if that helps.

m

Archived