Gibson Brands Forums

Do Americans find this funny?

LarryUK

My own sense of humor tends to be "adult" in the sense that I dearly love puns and allusions to other circumstances that kids just plain don't get. It ain't "dirty" in any sense, but sometimes you've gotta be old enough to remember what's being alluded to.

m

Then you probably like Warner Brothers cartoons, Bugs Bunny and the like. I remember watching these shows as a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed them. As an adult, you have to supervise your children's TV watching you know, I saw these same Looney Tunes shows but some of the jokes I know I didn't get as a child. These weren't 'adult' in the R rated vein, but the jokes were only funny if you had at least a high school science and history background.

Now, "Roger Rabbit," is another story. It was full of 'adult' humor that the kids most likely didn't get. It would seem the crux of the story is that Roger's wife was believed to be "Playing Patty Cake" with one R.K.Maroon. When the Detective checked up on them, sure enough, they were playing patty cake, the children's game.... (get your mind out of the gutter! [sneaky] ) But Roger is very distraught because his wife is playing patty cake with someone other than him. This is one of several 'adult' themed jokes that children should miss.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy...

Yup on all you said. I think the age of scatalogical humor - including that of "wind" - is that age when children are making that passage from being home-centered into the community around them.

Yet... "we" humans always retain something of the child within us and even that which makes us smile and laugh as infants, children, teens and young adults.

<grin> It's the same "internal child" that gives us G.A.S. too!

m

Archived