Gibson Brands Forums

New to guitars and need advice

Satisfiedmind

I am new to playing guitar and am looking at buying my first guitar. I am a college student so money is kind of tight and I would like to stay under $200 if I could, $250 max. I looked at the PR-150 and noticed a good price on the Advanced Jumbo. I will pretty much only play country music. What guitar would give me the best sound for this? Thanks for any recommendations!

Troy

The best advice given to me on this site 2 years ago when I started was to "take your time" and "play whatever you can get your hands on". I was told that "sound" is such a personal thing. They were right. Next up was "playability"; how does it fit you. I now have 2 Epiphones; PR350E and EL00. They are completely different from each other. The PR350E is a full size Dread and the EL00 is a small Parlour. I love playing them both. I've since added a Taylor Grand Concert to the mix. Each is unique in it's own way as far as "sound" and "playability". But I enjoy all 3. Having the right guitar for you will make your guitar journey much more enjoyable. Keep It Fun, Dean

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dean's advice is as good as you'll get from anyone.

The Epis in the under-$300 street price all are pretty darned nice, at least the ones I've had my hands on.

But don't forget some sort of a case... extra strings... tuner or pitch pipe... There's a $160 AE that looks decent.

I agree about trying them, but my experience with Epis has been better than a lotta other stuff - and my college years are long gone. Bang for the buck today? I love the Epis.

m

Archived