Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger or Hohner...it's a Cort

mrspyderman

I bought a white Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro (H-S-H) back in 2000 from Music Yo. I did some research then and found out the Steinberger and Hohner are built by the Cort factory in Korea. I like the quality, neck is nice, paint finish is really good, the Select pickups say Designed By EMG, although the trem bridge could have been machined a little better, to lock it in place takes a little effort.

I don't know where the Steinbergers are built now, but thought you guys might be interested about where they were built then.

As a note, I paid $259 in 2000 from Music Yo. Back then I wished I was able to get it for the $199 I heard some people had paid for it a couple years before. Seems like the guitar started out real cheap and has slowly gone up in price, now they're selling for $399 new. Some of the new ones show the pickups say Steinberger on them, some have a new Select Designed By EMG logo.

The Steinberger's are still made in Korea so probably in the same place. However, they're heavily built down to a price. The Spirit, which in the UK is £300 or there abouts, is very badly made....I've seen some of those cheap non-branded learning guitars for about £80 or less and they're much better quality. SO why are we all paying three times as much for a piece of driftwood from a company which then ignores its customers?!

Archived