Gibson Brands Forums

Help please....

Jim D

Hi

I'd appreciate some guidance please. I've been offered the chance to buy Les Paul Goldtop darkback 57 VOS (2009). It weighs 8 lbs.

Before I make the trip to take a look at the guitar, does the weight suggest it's weight relieved / chambered? The owner doesn't know....

Welcome some thoughts please.

Thanks Jim

If the serial number on the back of the headstock begins with "CR" , as in CR79001, then it is a chambered guitar. If the serial number follows the typical Custom Shop numbering pattern, as in 7 9001, then it is a solid body. If you want to check, when you see the guitar, take the control cavity cover off and you will see the open areas that are part of the chambers. I may be wrong but I don't think the Custom Shop was using the swiss cheese holes in 2009. They were either chambered or solid. Do not bias yourself before you play a chambered as many folks believe the chambered Les Pauls sound better. It is rare to find a solid body at 8 lbs, but it can be done without any weight relief. If it plays good, feels good and looks good, don't worry about it being solid or chambered.

If the serial number on the back of the headstock begins with "CR" , as in CR79001, then it is a chambered guitar. If the serial number follows the typical Custom Shop numbering pattern, as in 7 9001, then it is a solid body. If you want to check, when you see the guitar, take the control cavity cover off and you will see the open areas that are part of the chambers. I may be wrong but I don't think the Custom Shop was using the swiss cheese holes in 2009. They were either chambered or solid. Do not bias yourself before you play a chambered as many folks believe the chambered Les Pauls sound better. It is rare to find a solid body at 8 lbs, but it can be done without any weight relief. If it plays good, feels good and looks good, don't worry about it being solid or chambered.

Thank you for the reply. A great point, well made. best, Jim

Archived