Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo LG-1??? Maybe KG-1 Acoustic???

jjbiv

I posted a couple of weeks ago trying to get help identifying my Kalamazoo, but no reponses so far. That's not surprising since I've been all over the internet and making phone calls, even contacting top vintage Gibson experts, and no one seems to be able to pin this one down other than to say it's most definitely the ladder-braced LG-1.

I've narrowed it down to 1945-49 (most likely not any earlier due to cross-hatched rivets on the Kluson tuners) and it's all original. Somehow it ended up with the Kalamazoo logo on it which is bizarre since there weren't any 'Zoo flattops produced after 1941. The FON is 4125, but I can't nail down a year from the FON alone. I've also heard it's an all mahogany body, even the top, but I'm no expert. Another odd thing about it is the natural finish ... there aren't any records of LG-1's with this finish during this time period (they're all sunburst).

Has anyone heard of this guitar before? I've seen another one on eBay just like it (except for the tuners), but the guy was incorrectly selling it as a KG-11 and he claimed he didn't know much about it.

***I found someone else with what looks to be the same guitar who said theirs is stamped with a "KG-1" through the sound hole. Very strange. I thought KG-1's were electrics first made in the '60's. No??? Were there any acoustic KG-1's built in the 1940's?

logo1.jpg

body2.jpg

tunersgood1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I can get an old lg1 kakamazoo. It's been refinished... has a different pick guard. It has a bridge that's set up for an 8 string? 2 holes are filled. The neck i straight. The body has a slight separationon the back where it meets the side.. Not too bad. The backe dis still stripped. It's a mix and maych project. I can get it to you guys for 270 to 300. Thanks, sjalexandertrader@yahoo.com

I can get an old lg1 kakamazoo. It's been refinished... has a different pick guard. It has a bridge that's set up for an 8 string? 2 holes are filled. The neck i straight. The body has a slight separationon on the back where it meets the side.. not too bad. The back is still stripped. It's a mix and match project. The neck has some wear. email me for pics. I can get it to you guys for 270 to 300. Thanks, sjalexandertrader@yahoo.com

I saw your guitar on ebay last night and made a post on the UMGF (Unoffical Martin Guitar Forum). Here is the link.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/72636

As you will see this is the first Kal with an LG body anyone including George Gruhn has seen. Gruhn has one for sale also and the link is in the thread.

Very interesting guitar and looks great!

TM

Archived