Gibson Brands Forums

Gibons LG-3 or LG-2 & Year?

jonahiggins

Hi there.

I just bought myself what I was told is a 1948 Gibson LG-3. She's a bit beat up, but the sweetest guitar I've ever played. It's amazing, really.

However... after looking around on line it seems that it doesn't match up with the model and year I've been told. I've attached some pictures in the hope someone might be able to help me.

As you can see, it has a tear drop pickguard. Two dots on the bridge. The Gibson logo doesn't have a dotted 'i" and the colour is reddish brown but consistent in tone.

Any help greatly appreciated.

J

post-36391-047903900 1317922990_thumb.jpg

post-36391-039888100 1317922999_thumb.jpg

post-36391-082850000 1317923013_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, J !

Nice well-played LG, that you have. One that has been played that much, probably sounds great.

I have a similar LG. Mine had been stripped and refinished years ago as yours looks to have been.

I think you are in the ballpark with the date. I, however, think it is an LG2. I say that because it looks to have single-ply white binding on the top. My LG3 has white/black/white. Also the pickguard looks to have been replaced(not quite the right shape on the bottom edge).

The finish has definietly been removed from the peghead. This removed the gold Gibson decal that would have been on this period. Someone has inlayed an older MOP Gibson inlay on the headstock.

Any back shots?

At least, that is what I determine from your pictures.... Good Luck! Enjoy!

Rod

Thanks so much for your help. I can't upload anymore photos just yet as I don't have a camera with me. But you've made some very interesting observations. The pickguard does looks a little close to the bridge now you mention it... and you're also right in that the binding is single and all white. I think you're probably right too in that it's been refinished.

As for the peghead finish and decal... What decal would that have been? You mean the banner? Or did they have a specific decal at this period. I was told that the The banner was stopped post 1943. Though forgive me as I'm not too familiar with vintage Gibsons! Also how can you be sure the inlay has been replaced with an older one...? Interesting that it would have been... Any suggestions as to why that may have been the case? Not sure whether it's clear in the photos, but it's gold in color and doesn't look replaced... but then I'm no expert on these things,

Best,

J

Okay... So the inlay doesn't look replaced... as it appears it was only a transfer! After scratching at it, it's just come plain off!!

Now... I'm not sure what to think. Looking even more closely I wonder if it's even a Gibson!

I mean... I think it is... but maybe the neck has been replaced by someone which wasn't from the Gibson factory. It has a thick, chunky feel too... Is this typical?

Also, if you look at my pictures the neck joint at the body looks different to other LG 2/3's of that period. The 14th fret is slightly higher.

So many queries at this point. Anyone seen things like this?? Anyone's thoughts on this guitar even more appreciated now!

I didn't pay the earth for it ($1400) and it does sound amazing... so no complaints there. I'm just interested in what the hell it is, it's history and where it's from!

Best,

J

Archived