Gibson Brands Forums

VINTAGE HUMMINGBIRD

GREGSTER

Hi Everybody: I`ve been a longtime Gibson collector and player. Always electric with the exception of an ES-335. I took an opportunity today to make a trade that came up. I had an older Classic Les Paul. I was offered a very old Gibson Hummingbird on trade.I decided an old pretty Gibson would be nice to have around. It rough will need some cracks repaired and a whole lot of TLC. I`m going to do what I can with advice and leave the rest to a Luthier.I don`t want it mint. I love the mojo of years of playing. But I need it sound structure wise. I wanted to start by finding out what year it is. Got a feelin` you guys can help me start there if you would. Serial # is 853738 Hummingbird cherry burst.

Thanks, Greg

P.S. IT IS STAMPED ON BACK OF HEADSTOCK.

From this very reliable and useful source: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

... It would date to either 1966 or 1969 (there was overlap and confusion in Gibson's numbering system at that time).

In case it helps to narrow it down, here is some info from the same website with regard to changes in the model's specs, post-1966:

1968 Hummingbird specs:

Bottom belly bridge that is more squarish, some with tobacco sunburst, some pickguards attached with screws.

1969 Hummingbird specs:

Bracing changed to be large and bulky, with tone suffering.

Archived