Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaners or Polish...not the nationality

MickeyNJ2

What are some of your favorite Cleaners or Polishes for frequent cleaning/maintenance? I have a DR500mceVS which is a glossy finish.

Also I have an old Penco I bought with paper-route money back in '79 and the finger board and frets could use cleaning - any suggestions?

While I'm at it...lets talk strings - even though I've had a guitar since '79 I'm still a beginner learning all over again if you will. I've been learning a song in Open E tuning and going back and forth to standard tuning since I only know one song in open E...anyway I've gone thru 3 sets of strings in like 3 weeks - The last set I put on were Martin .13s thinking a heavier string would last longer however the G broke within two tuning changes - Am I doing something wrong?

For just regular cleaning/polishing I like Ernie Ball Guitar Polish; doesn't build up or leave a film. For a deeper cleaning and minor scratch removing I'll use Restore cream polish, but this is usually one time deal. For cleaning a rosewood fretboards I use 0000 steel wool and condition with Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil, but that is usually once every few years or it will depend how often you play or the environment you play in, i.e. hot sweaty bars.

Caution you have to be careful about using Lemon Oil; over use can soften the wood. Here is a Youtube video showing how to use steel wool to clean a fretboard.

Never use steel wool or lemon oil on a maple fretboard.

If you have deep scratches you can try Guitar Scratch Remover. The stuff really works. I had some really bad scratches on my Ibanez AEG18, so I order the stuff and it remove 99% of the scratches. Here is the link for Guitar Scratch Remover.

Scratch Remover

As far as your string question can't help you there. I only use standard tuning, so don't have that problem. You might set up one guitar with standard tuning and one with drop "D" or was that open "E" tuning. Your only other option is to purchase some extra "G, B, and E" strings.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the responses....Milod - They all broke at the tuning peg on the head. I thought is was very strange myself. The G snapped when I was tuning it back down from G# to G and I know I was turning it the correct way - And it happened on 2 different guitars - either I'm stringing them incorrectly or it's just happens to be one of those things - where I got a couple of bad strings...I guess [confused]

I've got the roughly similar AJ500 series. No problems at all with strings there or on anything else I play. If it were at the nut, bridge or even where you flatpick, it'd be easier to figure.

So... Why?

The only thing I can think of is that if you do a sharp bend for some reason or another - as in 90 degrees or more - in the string as you're stringing up, it could weaken the internal main wire of a wrapped G. I suppose it could happen if the string is going over the top of other strings at a somewhat sharper angle than just around the post, but... even then it should not happen as you described. Are you doing some kind of a knot in the string at the tuner's post?

If it's happening on two different guitars but with similar strings and however you're doing the stringing, it's probably something you're doing. If you snap a photo before it breaks, then after, it might help some of the folks here diagnose what's going on...

m

You basically have the paper clip effect here; you keep bending a paper clip in the same place and it will break at that point. How many windings do you have on the post? After thinking about it and looking at a few guitars I noticed that the way I wind my strings the G string's last wind is over the peg hole and looks like it has a sharp or flat look due to the hole. So, I am wondering if you have the same thing and if you put a few more windings on, so that your last wind is on the solid part of the peg and not over the hole. That may help you with your problem. Anyway good luck.

Archived