Gibson Brands Forums

Refinishing a '64 SG Junior

fenrisulfr

I've done a search and can't seem to find any posts regarding having vintage Gibsons refinished... At least none in the first 30 hits or so, but please correct me if I'm wrong. But here goes.

I've got a 1964 SG Junior that had been stripped down and painted over with white spray paint. The headstock paint and logo are still original. There is a very small crack in the headstock just under the low E string tuner, but the crack doesn't extend through the wood to the headstock, i.e. no piece actually broke off. The crack was repaired well and is barely perceptible to the touch. I mention this because with this damage it's not going to be a collectors item, but it's a solid playable guitar. I'd like to have it refinished in nitro back to its original Heritage Cherry. What might even be better is having a "relic" job done on it so that the finish would match the hardware, pickup, pickguard, and headstock. But I can't seem to find anyone "definitive" who does Gibsons. I've heard good things about Mark Jenny, but I've never heard of him doing Gibsons. The guitar is playable/useable as it is, and doesn't really look half bad. But the neck bothers me as the finish doesn't really feel good and it looks really sloppy along the fretboard/neck edge. I've thought of just stripping the neck and leaving it bare... I'm not a collector, this is my first real vintage Gibson and it's a guitar I'm going to play and play out with. I'm open to any general advice as to what I should do with it. i.e. don't even bother having it refinished. But I'd also like to hear if anyone has recommendations on who and where to have a refinish done. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived