Gibson Brands Forums

SST: fitting a Shadow SH4020A

RodF

I have an Epiphone SST (S/No S108010612) and want to fit a Shadow SH4020A pick up/pre-amp. The pre-amp is too wide to fit on the edge of the guitar where you would normally fit it. So I'm considering fitting it on the front in the upper bout of the guitar.

It will require a hole through the guitar 73mm x 43mm. (Just under 3" x 1.75")

My questions are

1) Is there anything in the upper bout that I might hit, after the existing pre-amp is removed?

2) Will there be any impact on the structural integrity of the guitar, provided the cut-out is not too close to the edge?

3) Will there be any impact on the amplified sound of the guitar as a result of this cut-out?

Some versions of the SST had a Shadow pickup fitted to the rim here's a link to some info http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Elec/SST-Studio.aspx. Might be easier if you can source one of those as they were said to be very good (and they'd fit of course).

I have the Epi Chet Atkins (SST?)from around 2003. That's the one where the pots stick up through the top shoulder and the pre-amp is in a cavity on the back. The pre-amp was absolute rubbish and I just removed it and wired the pickup straight to the output jack. There was an immediate improvement in tone but I finally settled on using an MXR Micro Amp and the tone controls on my combo. Sounds OK to me.

Some versions of the SST had a Shadow pickup fitted to the rim here's a link to some info http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Elec/SST-Studio.aspx. Might be easier if you can source one of those as they were said to be very good (and they'd fit of course).

I have the Epi Chet Atkins (SST?)from around 2003. That's the one where the pots stick up through the top shoulder and the pre-amp is in a cavity on the back. The pre-amp was absolute rubbish and I just removed it and wired the pickup straight to the output jack. There was an immediate improvement in tone but I finally settled on using an MXR Micro Amp and the tone controls on my combo. Sounds OK to me.

Thanks for this JonnyG. My SST has the Shadow pre-amp you refer to I think. But this new pre-amp has a pan control, stereo output and indivdual string volume control. Check it out on the Shadow site and I think you'll see why I want one. I ordered it to go in my Martin. But I seldom play that so fancy pushing the boundaries a bit and putting a rather large hole in my SST!

Looking in the rear control cavity on mine it looks like you MIGHT just do what you're proposing but it is tight. If you came down in line with the neck about 3/8" from the top of the shoulder you have barely 2" before the rout inside the body curves sharply to the left (looking from the front). As far as width goes you'll just squeeze in the 3" you require. Looking at mine from the inside I'd say it was just possible but, frankly, I wouldn't risk it. Also worth remembering that because we have different pre-amps/controls fitted yours may well be slightly or very different to mine. Sorry I can't help further. Good luck with it anyhow.

Looking in the rear control cavity on mine it looks like you MIGHT just do what you're proposing but it is tight. If you came down in line with the neck about 3/8" from the top of the shoulder you have barely 2" before the rout inside the body curves sharply to the left (looking from the front). As far as width goes you'll just squeeze in the 3" you require. Looking at mine from the inside I'd say it was just possible but, frankly, I wouldn't risk it. Also worth remembering that because we have different pre-amps/controls fitted yours may well be slightly or very different to mine. Sorry I can't help further. Good luck with it anyhow.

Thank you for this, it's really helpful. I'll let you know how it goes, should I decide to go this route. As a result of your input, as a first step, I'll certainly remove my pre-amp and see what I can see before I start drilling!

Thank you for this, it's really helpful. I'll let you know how it goes, should I decide to go this route. As a result of your input, as a first step, I'll certainly remove my pre-amp and see what I can see before I start drilling!

JohhnyG thank you again. I've taken out the pre-amp and you're right the space is there. (Should have done that earlier!!) All I now need to decide, when I see the new unit, whether it is to protrude slightly to the back (cut right through the guitar body) or to the front: probably rhe latter.

Archived