Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement bridge for 63 Melody Maker

63MelodyMaker

Back in the 70's we used to replace the wrap-arounds with the LEO QUAN BADASS bridge. It was one of the few replacements made at the time, there are many others now. Give a look at the AllParts or StewMac websites.

Larry, would anyone keep the vibrola/tremelo/whammy bar? It seems that people replace the bridge and ditch the whammy bar. I'd like to get a new, and better, bridge and keep the whammy bar. Thanks for the advice, they have a used BADASS bridge at Rivington Guitars in NYC, I'll take a look at it the next time I'm in the city.

Yes, you can replace the bridge and keep the whammy bar. The Baddass did fit my 1964 Firebird III properly in front of the short Maestro. I MAY have had to change the treble side length adjustment screw to a shorter one to avoid the lever arm mount. At the time the Badass came with two long adjusting "cap" screws to set the scale length at the posts. It's a standard (SAE) size and thread and easily obtainable at most hardware stores in either a "set screw" type, or cap screw.

Here was the Leo Quan Badass setup on my Firebird:

2325678604_2735f1fc29.jpg

Yes, you can replace the bridge and keep the whammy bar. The Baddass did fit my 1964 Firebird III properly in front of the short Maestro. I MAY have had to change the treble side length adjustment screw to a shorter one to avoid the lever arm mount. At the time the Badass came with two long adjusting "cap" screws to set the scale length at the posts. It's a standard (SAE) size and thread and easily obtainable at most hardware stores in either a "set screw" type, or cap screw.

Here was the Leo Quan Badass setup on my Firebird:

2325678604_2735f1fc29.jpg

Awesome, Larry, thanks. That's the same 'bar' that I have on my Melody Maker. It's adjustable, too.

Archived