Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard "Sparkle" Custom Shop - true or false?

panamax

Hello,

I have just spotted a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard in Red Sparkle finish from the Custom Shop. Its serial number is CS88268 which I assume means the guitar was built in 2008.

All sparkle finished Les Pauls I have seen until this one had only the top finished in sparkling color. Back and neck were finished in transparent color (just like typical sunburst Standard Pauls).

This one is completely finished in sparkling red (but the headstock face plate and the fretboard).

I'm considering buying this guitar but I'm wondering about the wood quality used (since you cannot see the woodgrain). Is it guaranteed that the woods will be as good as my Historical custom 68 RI?

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

All of the materials used on a Custom Shop guitar will be of the same quality. Differences between what you might find under a finish as opposed to that of what you might find in a trans finish (sunburst for example), will typically be the level of figure in the wood. Figure is an aesthetic phenomenon that has no bearing on tone, endurance, etc. Also, aside from the obvious difference of finish, there would be no difference in the guitar's construction.

I hope this helps. Thank you for considering one of our instruments. Best of Luck.

Kevin Van Pamel of Gibson Custom

Hello,

I have just spotted a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard in Red Sparkle finish from the Custom Shop. Its serial number is CS88268 which I assume means the guitar was built in 2008.

All sparkle finished Les Pauls I have seen until this one had only the top finished in sparkling color. Back and neck were finished in transparent color (just like typical sunburst Standard Pauls).

This one is completely finished in sparkling red (but the headstock face plate and the fretboard).

I'm considering buying this guitar but I'm wondering about the wood quality used (since you cannot see the woodgrain). Is it guaranteed that the woods will be as good as my Historical custom 68 RI?

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. The sparkle red was gone already but they had two more: a LP std red gold sparkle and a LP std dark red sparkle.

Have you changed the material used for neck trapezoid inlays? They really seem like plastic on both those guitars? The inlays I had on my '96 LP Studio or those that are on my '89 LP Standard don't look like pearl but they don't look like plastic neither...

Apart from the inlays, I really like the dark red (in fact it looks like dark oxblood with very little red sparkle in it). Its serial starts with CS8 and it doesn't feel very light (4-4,5kg - typical LP I would say). Was your custom shop production also weight-relieved in 2008? It won't change my opinion on this Les Paul, it's just for my information.

Regards,

Fred

Hi Fred,

All of the materials used on a Custom Shop guitar will be of the same quality. Differences between what you might find under a finish as opposed to that of what you might find in a trans finish (sunburst for example), will typically be the level of figure in the wood. Figure is an aesthetic phenomenon that has no bearing on tone, endurance, etc. Also, aside from the obvious difference of finish, there would be no difference in the guitar's construction.

I hope this helps. Thank you for considering one of our instruments. Best of Luck.

Kevin Van Pamel of Gibson Custom

Hi Fred,

We haven't changed inlay material that I'm aware of, and it's very likely I would be. If the inlays are part of a "VOS" package, they would be slightly aged, which means that they would have a slight, amber patina to them. If that's the case, they might look off to you for that reason. I doubt it however, as the guitar you're describing wouldn't typically have a VOS finish compliment attached to it. Based on the serial number, the guitar started life as a '58 Reissue and we then chose to customize it as part of a limited run or, as we are a shop full of tinkerers, we may have just done a few sparkle for fun. When we weight relieve a guitar, it is a very intentional thing that the dealer would be aware of, so I would guess this guitar to be the weight it is by nature and not by process. It's rare that we weight relieve a guitar at Gibson Custom, especially one that is a Historic model to begin with.

Again, I hope this is all helpful.

Kevin Van Pamel

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. The sparkle red was gone already but they had two more: a LP std red gold sparkle and a LP std dark red sparkle.

Have you changed the material used for neck trapezoid inlays? They really seem like plastic on both those guitars? The inlays I had on my '96 LP Studio or those that are on my '89 LP Standard don't look like pearl but they don't look like plastic neither...

Apart from the inlays, I really like the dark red (in fact it looks like dark oxblood with very little red sparkle in it). Its serial starts with CS8 and it doesn't feel very light (4-4,5kg - typical LP I would say). Was your custom shop production also weight-relieved in 2008? It won't change my opinion on this Les Paul, it's just for my information.

Regards,

Fred

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update. I'll go check this guitar again and will probably buy it. The finish is very classy. It's not as "in your face" as most sparkle finishes I've seen so far.

Regards,

Fred

Hi Fred,

We haven't changed inlay material that I'm aware of, and it's very likely I would be. If the inlays are part of a "VOS" package, they would be slightly aged, which means that they would have a slight, amber patina to them. If that's the case, they might look off to you for that reason. I doubt it however, as the guitar you're describing wouldn't typically have a VOS finish compliment attached to it. Based on the serial number, the guitar started life as a '58 Reissue and we then chose to customize it as part of a limited run or, as we are a shop full of tinkerers, we may have just done a few sparkle for fun. When we weight relieve a guitar, it is a very intentional thing that the dealer would be aware of, so I would guess this guitar to be the weight it is by nature and not by process. It's rare that we weight relieve a guitar at Gibson Custom, especially one that is a Historic model to begin with.

Again, I hope this is all helpful.

Kevin Van Pamel

Archived