Gibson Brands Forums

Help me date a j-50?

Lennon

My wife and I were out doing some picking/antiquing for our 11th year wedding anniversary yesterday, and we found - what I assume is - a J-50 and a '41-46 L-12 in the basement of an old lady's house.

The only thing is, I'm having a hard time dating the flattop. Here are some pics: http://imageshack.us/g/854/photo1kx.jpg/

and here are some things that I know:

screen printed Gibson logo (not script, no banner)

no label, no serial # on headstock

striped pickguard, not standard tort.

7xxx (23) FON

natural finish

tapered neck (i think)

She's willing to sell both guitars but I'm trying to put together a fair price for her. Anyone in here know stuff? I've been all over the inter-webs and I'd appreciate your wisdom. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I say 1951 and without a Luthier check up and assuming it has not been played in years...$2500.

No idea on the L model.

My wife and I were out doing some picking/antiquing for our 11th year wedding anniversary yesterday, and we found - what I assume is - a J-50 and a '41-46 L-12 in the basement of an old lady's house.

The only thing is, I'm having a hard time dating the flattop. Here are some pics: http://imageshack.us/g/854/photo1kx.jpg/

and here are some things that I know:

screen printed Gibson logo (not script, no banner)

no label, no serial # on headstock

striped pickguard, not standard tort.

7xxx (23) FON

natural finish

tapered neck (i think)

She's willing to sell both guitars but I'm trying to put together a fair price for her. Anyone in here know stuff? I've been all over the inter-webs and I'd appreciate your wisdom. Thanks.

All the characteristics and the Factory Order Number indicate this is a 1951 J-50. It should have J-50 ink stamped on the back centerline cleat, just below the soundhole.

That's an unusually nice striped pickguard. Most from that period are more swirl than stripe. Generally speaking, you should consider this a wholesale purchase, as you have recognized and identified the guitars for her. Wholesale in this case should be about 50% of retail.

It looks like a fair bit of fretboard wear, and you don't know how good the neck set is unless you are pretty experienced. Any required repairs can quickly double the acquisition cost.

In excellent condition, with only playwear (no damage), good frets (original) and good fret board, no loose braces, no poorly-done repairs--in short, a ready-to-play 1951 J-50 in excellent condition--I would estimate the RETAIL value at about $4K from a reputable dealer who has thoroughly gone over the guitar. Ironically, the comparable J-45--a cheaper guitar originally--is worth more if the 'burst is in good shape. As a wholesale buyer, half that would be a fair price to a seller who might well have sold it at a yard sale for $100. Given the amount of board wear, the price could be significantly lower. A re-fret and board planing from a qualified luthier could cost $600.

The L-12 actually interests me more. The value varies significantly depending on the year for these wartime archtops. The big-bodied L's went through a number of changes in this period. They do not bring the premium of a flat-top from the same period, unless it is an L-5 or (drool) a Super 400. Condition is really key on archtops, as they are harder to work on than flat-tops, since there is very limited access to the inside of the body through the F-holes. You need to pin down the year on this one. This should be a white-label guitar with the serial number visible on the label inside the bass-side F-hole.

Pictures would help.

Archived