Gibson Brands Forums

12 saddle bridge for 50th SG 12 string

instantkarma

I've been watching this post to see if anyone had an answer for you, out of curiousity. I've seen many electric 12 strings in my time, but I can't say that I've ever seen a tune-o-matic bridge with 12 separate saddles. When I bought my Ric 12, the first (of many) thing that I did was buy the aftermarket 12 saddle bridge, so I understand your wanting one. Have you ever seen one? I'll ask my tech, who's Gibson authorized , if he's aware of any and post again. Stand by and stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's what I found. As far as 12 individual saddle bridges, my guy is aware of 1 manufacturer, ABM (Germany), left. StewMac used to carry their stuff, but apparently doesn't anymore. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.abm-mueller.com/index2.html

Everyone else has lost interest in making them as every 12 string electric maker seems to want to use a different spacing/spread. The only one that still seems to get some support in 12 saddle bridges is Rickenbacker. Their bridges are set up differently, though. I have an aftermarket 12 saddle on my Ric and they are nice. But I will say that most 12 string stuff that you've heard is done with 6 saddle bridges and no being exactly intonated is part of the "jangle" that electric 12s are known for. I read some where that both Roger McGuinn and George Harrison spent very little time getting thier 12s exactly in tune for that very reason. Let us know if ABM still makes them and that they are still available. Good luck.

Archived