Gibson Brands Forums

1960 BB custom reissue and original

jcsk8

Hello. Looking at the specs of the 1960 Black Beauty Gibson Custom reissue, I´ve noticed that I never saw an original 60 with two pick ups.

Someone can confirm that Gibson produced that model, 60 custom with two pickups? I´ve seen from 57, to 59ies with two and three pickups, but only three pickups 60´s version.

Thank you.

Nor have I. I'd bet someone can point one out, but I have a feeling the vast majority were three pickup guitars. I suppose Gibson was being practical on this one, most guys prefer the two pickup tone vs the way the three pickup Customs were wired. Plus, the center pickup can bother some guys due to picking interference. I remember when the '68s were first released a lot of guys going "where's the third pickup?"

Nor have I. I'd bet someone can point one out, but I have a feeling the vast majority were three pickup guitars. I suppose Gibson was being practical on this one, most guys prefer the two pickup tone vs the way the three pickup Customs were wired. Plus, the center pickup can bother some guys due to picking interference. I remember when the '68s were first released a lot of guys going "where's the third pickup?"

Found a info on another forum today that only three 60 customs with two pups were made. And from those three

only two are around and one has "gone". Maybe a pic will pop up someday.

And I agree with what you said about gibson being pratical. Makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Archived