Gibson Brands Forums

please educate me on power supply

jlt-sg

I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm putting together a pedalboard and would like to get rid of all the wall

wart power supplies and use something like the DC Brick or a VooDoo Labs power supply. The wallwarts (I assume)

supply the correct voltage to their intended pedal, where the others supply 9v but what about mA ratings? Are your

pedals affected in any way- good or bad? Some of my pedals recommend only their power supply. What's the real deal?

I see most guys using the DC Brick, etc...Thanks, Jeff.

can't help you with the brick or the voodoo, but I can tell you a little about power supplies (wall warts)

For one thing although most of them say 9 volt, many of them can run all over the place, I have 3 identical Boss wall warts, and when measured for voltage they go from a 9.5 to up to 14 Volts, all are different, I'd measure whatever supply I ended up using, some pedals sound different at higher voltages, such as the OCD, and they recommend you try different voltages to find your sound.

Other mfgs insist that you use their power supply because some of them wire the AC adaptor plug in in different ways, some center +, some center -, and, of course, they want you to buy more of their products.

As far as ma rating, you can generally say that the higher the ma is on the adaptor, the beefier it is, being able to power more pedals, or, heavier duty circuits.

Archived