Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom VS Standart VS G-400

netkilleril

Hi all, new in here.

Well, it's gonna be my second guitar and since i understood that it's pointless to invest thousands on a new Gibson i'm searching new Epi.

Play mostly Modern punkrock(melodic/technical), harcore punk, fastcore(which is a really fast hardcore punk, heavy sound), But Ska and post-rock aswell!

i know that using the right effect will give me the sound i want on every guitar.

So the main concerns are:

1) I don't want to experience dead frets and such.

2) clear cleans.

3) will last longer.

mainly which is better build, i know that the price doesn't always reflects the things as they are.

Thanks!

In the world of Epiphone, spending more money usually means better quality. Maybe not in every case, but for the most part it's true.

Low end Gibson SG's cost as much or less than the high end Epi Les Pauls, so it's really what you prefer. Your best bet is to go try them out for yourself, as this is really subjective.

One thing to note is that most of the Epi G-400's are not balanced very well, and will have a heavy neck. Some people can't stand this, others don't care. It all depends on which model you pick. The Epi G-400 Goth, for example is pretty well balanced, where the standard G-400 is not(and they cost about the same). My G-400 is from '02 and it's still in really good shape. No dead frets or anything like that.

I don't own any Les Pauls, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

As I said, my main concern is that the guitar won't last for long.

For an example my 06' cort z2, it's super comfort or me,

but the sound it produces is so muddy in addition to the fact that the higher frets sounds really really bad and some of them are dead.

I'm looking for a guitar that will be able to avoid the cons that i noted about my guitar.

The sg g-400 is really cheap, although i heard good things about it.

What are the main differences between LP STD and a CUSTOM?

As I said, my main concern is that the guitar won't last for long.

For an example my 06' cort z2, it's super comfort or me,

but the sound it produces is so muddy in addition to the fact that the higher frets sounds really really bad and some of them are dead.

I'm looking for a guitar that will be able to avoid the cons that i noted about my guitar.

The sg g-400 is really cheap, although i heard good things about it.

What are the main differences between LP STD and a CUSTOM?

Any set neck Epi will last a lifetime. They're well made; never had any fret issues. I have a bunch of Epi's. SG's (G-400) are a great value, but as with any mid-price import, upgrading to American-made pickup's will make a big improvement in tone quality; I've upgraded the pickups on all my Epi's, and get compliments on my tones every time I'm on stage.

The difference between an Epi LP Std and LP Custom is chrome vs gold hardware, bigger inlays, and a fancier headstock motif; all cosmetic things, more bling. Same guitar otherwise (I have some of both). And in both cases, upgrading PU's makes a world of difference. Put a set of Seymour Duncan PAF's in an Epi LP and you'll sound almost like a $3,000 Gibson LP.

The difference between an LP Custom and an SG Std is weight, neck access, tone, and sustain. LP's are typically having, with lots of sustain and low end. SG's are usually lightweight and have full neck access. LP's will have a fuller, heavier sound. Both are great. get one of each!

Archived