Gibson Brands Forums

Another faulty AL Axcess?

JayOhh

The video suddently showed up on youtube after all. So here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DezgyuEADw&feature=g-upl&context=G24891e9AUAAAAAAAAAA

Oh, man, that noise is loud. I couldn't tell exactly, but it seemed like your Epi was extra noisy -- but not as bad as the AL -- once you took your hands off the strings (hard to tell because you only did it for a brief second). There seems to be something about that setup that produces a lot of noise. That said, the AL noise was unacceptably high and should NOT be affected by the killed Piezo volume. I'm not telling you anything you don't know. The noise I got from my AL in factory condition was not nearly that bad but it was louder than my other guitars. Then I started to get crackling followed by a huge reduction in volume from my bridge pickup (coming in and out, which was affected by pushing the Piezo volume pot back and forth). That was the impetus for me going ahead and having the McDLT mod done. I couldn't be happier now. If you can't get someone to do the mod, I think you are going to have to send your AL back and give up on this model. I'm afraid that Gibson will not be able to repair it the way you want it -- with noise problems fixed and the blending feature intact. I think the Graphtec and Gibson electronics simply don't like each other. We'd probably both be interested in whether any other AL owners without the mod are happy with the noise levels they experience, compared with similar guitars using the same setup. If so, then maybe I'm wrong and a Gibson repair is worth trying. I just had little use for the blending feature (as I can blend other ways) and needed the guitar to be more reliable. Good luck however it turns out. I hope you end up with your dream guitar in the end.

Isnt that acoustic set up similar to a single coil pickup? Its not a ground loop but a 60hz hum, to tell stand up with the guitar and rotate your body like a clock hand. If the hum is very loud and 180 degrees apart from each other thats where the humming is from. I have seen this with other guitars and its more noticeable with certain items in the effects loop.

No, the acoustic setup is a separate piezo pickup. But the humbuckers on this can be coil tapped, so that can turn them into single coils.

Hate to say it but a while back I noticed my Al was noisey just like in the video. The day it happened I didn't have a chance to check out the problem as my wife was dragging me out the door just as it happened. When I got home later the problem was not there. I passed it off as possibly an electrical "anamoly" in the house. But it has happened since and it is centered around the piezo pot. My feeling is it's a bad pot. When mine makes the noise if I pull it out to the kill position and put some pressure on shaft it will go away and be quiet until it acts up again. I also feel this is unacceptable even for a $300.00 guitar.

I haven't pursued it with Gibson yet. But after reading this it's time to get off my a$$ and do it. Good luck to us all!

• 2 weeks later...

Soo...

Talked to the tech today. He finally had a chance to try the guitar after NAMM and sickness. But as I feared, he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He only tried it on an amp, and not through a computer. So after I talked to him, he said he would take another look at it tomorrow. He would also see if there was something he could improve and check out the "split signal mod".

But the strange thing was: "There was nothing wrong with the guitar, but considering how it was made ( electrics and all ) we couldn't expect anything else." Sounds strange to me, but sounds like Gibson didn't really do a great job on this one....

Anyways, I'll call him back on thursday after he's had another look at it and hear what he says.

I'll keep you posted.

PS! If I can get the mod and the guitar will be dead silent, I'll be very happy with it. But Im not so sure that's gonna cure the whole noiseissue...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived