Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom fake?

DLV

Hi guys. I'm Dave (DLV) and I'm new on this forum!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've a question for the experts of the Custom. I'm gonna buy a Gibson LP Custom on the internet for a very low price and the doubts are raising [confused]

The headstock, the truss rod cover and the machine head look fine (Gibson Custom logo, two bolts on the truss rod cover and Grover machine head).

post-38625-091979400 1325021853_thumb.jpg

post-38625-036094400 1325021875_thumb.png

The serial matches with a guitar of 2005, made at the Nashville Plant, TN, USA.

post-38625-042575100 1325021892_thumb.jpg

The neck is made of rosewood, not ebony.

What do you think about it?

Is this a fake?

I guess it's not a Custom shop Les Paul, Found this on Gibson site on serial numbers.

Custom Shop regular production models

CSYRRRR

CS stands for "Custom Shop"

Y indicates the production year

RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

But the Gibson USA division sometimes makes Les Paul they call Les Paul Custom. I leave it to others to judge the picks as i am not a Les Paul expert

Thank you sellen for your support. I'm nearly sure that is a fake from the serial number: it doesn't match with a Custom [thumbdn]

No problem man. Like i said earlier it can be a Gibson USA lp custom, not good to tell from those picks and some of the fakes looks quit good

No problem man. Like i said earlier it can be a Gibson USA lp custom, not good to tell from those picks and some of the fakes looks quit good

The pics are not the greatest, but even the pitch of the headstock looks phoney to me. If it were a Norlin-era ('70s) guitar, maybe... but this one does not look right.

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

[thumbdn]

I think the rosewoodnis fine. BTW, you mean fingerboard, the neck is the main thing you hold, the fingerboard is the part with the frets. ( :D you knew that already, right?)

I know nothing about the serial number issue. Bigger pics would help, please.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived