Gibson Brands Forums

Epi pickups

roughrider

BEFORE I start Modding-- Are the stock Pups on Epi LPStudio, Wilshire,Ltd Ed., [with std size HBs]-- 335 Dot Studio,-- SG '61, or 400 worn finish, ---4 Wire configured?? Or do I have ta buy some 4 wire Fat Pat Crunchy pups from Guitar Fetish?? I only want to Tap the Neck pups! I have had good results with GF pups on other Axes, I have 30, I gotta be Nutz!

Welcome to the forum Roughrider, and if you are genuinely nutz for guitars, you're in the right place.

I'm not familiar with the stock pickups in those specific models, but many (probably safe to say most) of the factory installed Epiphone p-ups are 2-wire.. and keep us informed regarding your coil-splitting project, and if at all possible, post some pics of your axes.

The only types of guitars that are looked down upon here, are faked Epiphones or Gibsons (more often than not from China, but not genuine Epi or Gibson products).

An option for using a 2-wire p-up would be to split the coils yourself, and add a length of shielded 4-wire cable.. it's not difficult, especially on those which are open coil humbuckers (not covered). Removing covers and splitting the coils isn't much of a challenge for owners who can solder.

When I split some coils of some Epiphone 57CH Classic Humbuckers, I wasn't able to find any of the small diameter 4-wire cable like the stuff that p-up manufacturers use for the leads.. so I pulled the wires and foil shield out of the vinyl jacket of some other 4-wire cable, then replaced the braided shield back over the 4 wires. That made the diameter of the p-up lead more reasonable.

It's handy to use a set of wire colors that match an existing color code (Gibson's is different from some others) to keep track of which color is the start or end of each coil.. that way the switch conections can be made without trial and error/guessing, and useful for future changes.

Bill

BEFORE I start Modding-- Are the stock Pups on Epi LPStudio, Wilshire,Ltd Ed., [with std size HBs]-- 335 Dot Studio,-- SG '61, or 400 worn finish, ---4 Wire configured?? Or do I have ta buy some 4 wire Fat Pat Crunchy pups from Guitar Fetish?? I only want to Tap the Neck pups! I have had good results with GF pups on other Axes, I have 30, I gotta be Nutz!

I've bought a bunch of PU's, most of them used on eBay. You can get most high-quality ones for around half price. You get a lot more PU for your money that way.

Archived