Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton 88

Gorik86

Hi

For sale

The man who sells this guitar says there is no more serial number on this guitar anymore because it's made in 1988 and the serial number was on a sticker on the backside of the headstock.

Is this true? I thought the serial# was, or in the f-hole or stamped on the headstock?

When i search after other epi's from the 80's, on the headstock was printed 'Epiphone by gibson', or am I wrong?

Thanks!

Thats not a 1988. The 1986-89 models said "Epiphone By Gibson" on the headstock inlay. That one looks to be somewhere in the range of 1989-1996 or so. There were transitional models in 1989; some with the "E by G" inlay and some without. By the looks of the "E" emblem on the pickguard, I'd say its a 1989-1994 model.

During this period it was common for the serial to be on a sticker for Epiphone guitars, though I cant speak specifically for the Sheraton.

Allright. And were there difference between the 89-94 and the earlier ones?

I've read that the electronics in the sheraton II are better than in the I's. But the neck from the I's are better than the new models? True?

AFAIK, the differences were only cosmetic. Epiphone ditched the "E By G" logo on all of their guitars in 1989. There may be other slight cosmetic differences, but I'm not really well versed in Sheratons.

Again, I dont know about the necks either. There were several different Sheraton models before the Sheraton II was introduced, as well as special run Sheraton I models along side the Sheraton II. From what I understand the original Sheraton II had a 5-piece Walnut/Maple neck from 1986-2007. After the move to china, they started making them with maple and a scarf joint near the headstock. Its rumored that the 5-piece is coming back, but I dont know for sure.

Here is the wiki page for all of the Sheratons that I am aware of:

http://www.epiphonew...?title=Sheraton

Archived