Gibson Brands Forums

GFS minis and mini bird pickups?

hawkfanatic

Whos tried either of them and what did you think? The neck mini on my nighthawk is a great lead pickup, but it's just too hot for ryhthm so i wanted to replace it. But i am so burned out on buying pickups only to end up spending more on pickups than i did for the guitar, i want to get an idea of whether this would be $30 down the toilet or not. Since they are 1/2 the output as the epi's neck, I figure they should be fine as long as they simply don't sound lousy or mediocre.

I have both of the following GFS mini’s:

Firebird Style Metal Trim Ring Fat Mini- Fat Alnico V Magnets

Gibson P90 Soapbar Style Mini Humbuckers Mini 59- Vintage wound Alnico pickups

I love them both. The Firebird Style pu’s have treaded mounts. So they will fit not just the Firebird guitars but the Riviera and Les Paul Deluxe as well. I put three of these in a Mexican Strat. I had to custom order the pickguard. The Gibson P90 Soapbar Style can replace P-90’s. So I used them to convert an Epi Les Paul Special SC and a Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen. I like them better than P-90’s. To me the tones are somewhere between a PAF HB and a P-90.

In summary, I don’t know about the Nighthawk but these pickups work great for me. Also, they are 4 conductor. So you can coil cut them

Archived