Gibson Brands Forums

scale length needed

HippieDave5

Hello all: I'm trying to fix a new bridge on a Gibson "O Florentine" for an elderly neighbor of mine. The numbers on it (serial and production) date it circa 1923-1924. It's been rather haphazardly repaired here and there and is a little beat up, but it basically appears to be playable. He'd like to see it played again. I'm not trying to do a vintage restoration, as from what I can see the guitar is not that valuable, and it is not in collector condition anyway.I've got a bridge I believe will work on it, but I can't find what the scale length should be. Also, I've never worked with an archtop, but I am presuming that whatever the scale length is, it is measured from the edge of the nut to the edge of the saddle? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello all: I'm trying to fix a new bridge on a Gibson "O Florentine" for an elderly neighbor of mine. The numbers on it (serial and production) date it circa 1923-1924. It's been rather haphazardly repaired here and there and is a little beat up, but it basically appears to be playable. He'd like to see it played again. I'm not trying to do a vintage restoration, as from what I can see the guitar is not that valuable, and it is not in collector condition anyway.I've got a bridge I believe will work on it, but I can't find what the scale length should be. Also, I've never worked with an archtop, but I am presuming that whatever the scale length is, it is measured from the edge of the nut to the edge of the saddle? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave, simply measure from the nut to 12th fret. That should be halfway. measure the same distance from the 12th fret to the body. That should be approximately where the saddle should be placed. Do intonation tests from there...

Most likely the scale length is 24-3/4 to 25-1/2" long

Archived