Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help! Info regarding Epiphone Flying V '96?

Nickvee

Hi Everybody!

I'm writing cause I need a little help here.

I've recently bought a korean flying v epiphone guitar, from 1996.

I was searching info like crazy about it, but I can't tell if the body's wood is mahogany or alder. (found differente versions on the net)

Does anyone of you own a guitar like this, and can confirm which materials is made of?

I would like to know it, just to know which replacements pickups will suit best, just to get a balanced sounding guitar, I mean, I want to buy the pickups that will work better with the woods of this particular guitar.

I'll post a picture:

s_MLA_v_O_f_129640450_2446.jpg

This white flying V from mid 90s, have only two knobs (volume and tone) and the epiphone logo in the headstock is black. Does anyone of you know about this model?

I'll hope you can help me!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nick

p.d.: I will surely also welcome pickups recommendations, I was thinking about Seymour Duncan's JB and Jazz, but well, as I said before I'll prefer to be sure what wood the guitar is made of, to search for the best option.

If we ware talking about the guitar in the pic, its an Epiphone 1967 Flying-V. They were made from 1989-1998 and again from 2003-2005. All of the catalog specs indicate that this guitar was made of Alder.

Thanks for answering! Yes, the guitar in that pic is the one I'm talking about.

The thing that made me doubt, was reading some other sources that said (maybe wrongly) that it's body was made of mahogany. Also, I think that the ones that were made from 2003-2005 are (regarding to looks) more accurate recreations of gibson's 67 flying V (the headstock, the 4 controls).

But I was doubting about the 1989-1998 series, that are a bit different in design (headstock matching the color of body, 2 controls, etc). As they were made differently, maybe the wood was also different, as I said, I've found different versions on the internet.

In case it's body is made of alder, would you recommend the replacements pickups I was thinking about? (SD's JB and Jazz, or maybe JB and '59)

I'll use it for playing mainly classic hard rock and early metal oriented stuff.

Thanks again RTH!

I didnt realize there was a difference between the two runs. I'll have to look in to that. As far as the body wood, I'm going by what Epiphone has listed in their catalogs. I assume this to be true, but I suppose there is a possibility of some spec changes along the way.

I dont know what to tell you about pickups. Not really my thing. Maybe someone else will be able to give you suggestions.

I didnt realize there was a difference between the two runs. I'll have to look in to that. As far as the body wood, I'm going by what Epiphone has listed in their catalogs. I assume this to be true, but I suppose there is a possibility of some spec changes along the way.

I dont know what to tell you about pickups. Not really my thing. Maybe someone else will be able to give you suggestions.

On one of the links that are listed below your messages, I've found what it's seems to be the specifications of an Epiphone catalogue from 1998 (which is kinda close to the year of this particular guitar) and it says alder body. So, I think I'll trust your source unless some else gives a different answer. True is that there's always a chance of spec changes through the years. Maybe someone else may help me about the pickups later. Thanks for your answers!

I got that from the 1998 spec sheet that Epiphone used to have online afew years ago. The 1995, 1996, 1997 & 2003 catalogs all say the same thing. Alder body. 1995 is as far back as I looked.

Great!! So alder it must be, for sure! With this information in mind, I will keep investigating for the most suitable pickups. Thank you RTH! :)

Archived