Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky neck lives on! 335

amaxis

I picked up a 2010 Gibson Custom ES-335 Plain '60s Block Inlay"Slim Neck" about last summer and noticed the sticky neck thing... well now I'm freaking out as the finish on the neck, in spots, has actually become wax-like and I can scrape it off with a finger nail - mostly on the 1st string side at the 1st through 3rd frets, including the binding. And starting in the middle of the back of the neck at frets 5-8. I'm using "Smith Pro Formula Polish" on it and it helped the stickyness a bit, but why is the finish deteriorating?? I read posts from 2008 about this, yet it persists...

Try cleaning the neck with Naptha, do not put any polish on it and leave it exposed to air, but not in a closed case (open case is OK), in a temp. & humidity controlled climate for a couple of weeks and it should show improvement. Sometimes just an open case will be good enough to get the air flowing around the neck. I do not have any experience with that polish or know what the content is but in any case keep any silicone product away from the finish. The polish is putting a layer or coating on the finish the the air has to try to fight its way through. Sometime depending on climate, humidity, the acid in your skin, and other variables can cause the finish to not totally "cure" for well over a year. Don't give up on it. Air is the answer. If the finish is soft, keep it away from most guitar stands as well. Maybe take it to an authorized Gibson dealer and let them look at it?

Archived