Gibson Brands Forums

gibson es335

Dave Irv

quick question for anybody knowledgeable in this area--I owned a beautiful custom shop 335 back in the 80's and eventually sold it because the dang thing just wouldn't stay tuned. Saved up enough to get another one recently-- wow, what inflation did to the dollar in the mean time!--and it's got the same problem. I have a 345 and a Gib Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, and neither one has this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums...

One or two things to check...or take the guitar to a technician for a set-up...

Strings may be binding in the nut grooves, causing random tightening and release of string tension

What string gauges are being used?

Nut alterations are a highly skilled operation..ie careful widening of the string pathway...

Graphite lube can be effective too...

V

:-({|=

thanks, V. I'm not sure what the strings are, as I just got the guitar (ebay) last week. It's a 2011 though, so it may still have the originals, which I'd assume are Gibsons, maybe 11's. They sound fairly bright and I don't think the first owner played it much (virtually no pick guard scratches).

I'll try the graphite. Thanks!

I would definitely change the strings. I would recommend Ernie Balls - I like the Regular Slinky 10s. Graphite for the nut is a good suggestion too, but if the guitar keeps going flat, then there may be a problem with the tuners. I would hesitate to replace the tuners until you've changed the strings and let them stretch out and determine if that fixes the problem first. Best of luck

Archived