Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire with P90's

Duppy

Hi all, first post here. I've got to start off by saying i've had fair few guitars over the years, from expensive and highly acclaimed to overlooked inexpensive odd balls. But Epiphones have always shone in their own way for me. I love the way they play and feel more than anything else.

So i'm thinking of getting one the new(ish) Wilshire '66 Reissues. I love the look and spec of them. I was thinking of switching out the PUPs for soap bar P90's to give me a bit of variety. Does anyone know if the cavities are big enough for P90's or will it require some skilled routing?

Or do those mini humbuckers sound so good that i'd be crazy to change them out? I've been trying to find a local guitar store to try one out but nowhere has one.

Soapbar P90's are 85mm x 34mm and mini-hums are 68mm x 28mm (both approximate) so it looks like routing would be required. The mini hums on my '66 reissue are OK but not what I'd call "special". It's a nice player so a better set of pup's would be worth the cost, maybe one day. However, if you're seriously thinking of buying a Wilshire I'd suggest you do see and try one first. I bought mine two and a half years ago and it's very good quality for the price. I saw some newer ones in a store a couple of weeks ago and, to be truthful, I wouldn't have bought one. It wasn't so much the build quality, but the wood looked very cheap and nasty.

Cheers, that's great info. I'll try and get to check one out in the flesh before I buy. If I go for it i'll pick up a set of Gibson P90's (tried a 60's tribute SG and thought they sounded REALLY good) get it routed by a luthier, i'd probably make a right mess trying to do it myself. Is it worth changing out the nut whilst i'm at it too?

A better nut might improve the tone a little but it's really up to you. The plastic one it comes with is OK on mine, although I did have to do a little work on the slots. It looks like a pretty simple job to knock it out and replace. One piece of advice. If you're doing some routing, rout the switch cavity just a little and turn the switch so it operates from left to right like a Fender rather than up and down. Because of where it's positioned it's way too easy to tap the switch while you're playing and switch pickups, it really bugged me until I did that.

Archived