Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone by Gibson on Head Stock (Explorer)

RyanLloyd

That is an Explorer. lol. That model was made from 1984-1997 and was just called Explorer.. It was most likely made between 1986-1988. The "Epiphone By Gibson" headstocks were used in that time period. I believe that these were the first Explorers that Epiphone produced. These early models are somewhat rare and I've never seen one with the "E by G" headstock before. Pretty cool!

That is an Explorer. lol. That model was made from 1984-1997 and was just called Explorer.. It was most likely made between 1986-1988. The "Epiphone By Gibson" headstocks were used in that time period. I believe that these were the first Explorers that Epiphone produced. These early models are somewhat rare and I've never seen one with the "E by G" headstock before. Pretty cool!

Thanks for that msp_thumbup.gif somewhat of a collectible Epiphone Explorer would you say then?

Collectable for its curiosity value, sure. But its not really worth any more than any other 1984-1997 Explorer. Epiphones dont generally increase in value unless they completely discontinue all of the models of the same design (i.e. all Explorers) and even then, the increase in value will most likely barely exceed the original price of the instrument. There are a few exceptions, but very few. A custom factory color would probably bring a higher price than the E by G logo. Though, knowing the general year of that guitar, I can probably tell you that the neck is fantastic.

How much is the seller asking for it?

Collectable for its curiosity value, sure. But its not really worth any more than any other 1984-1997 Explorer. Epiphones dont generally increase in value unless they completely discontinue all of the models of the same design (i.e. all Explorers) and even then, the increase in value will most likely barely exceed the original price of the instrument. There are a few exceptions, but very few. A custom factory color would probably bring a higher price than the E by G logo. Though, knowing the general year of that guitar, I can probably tell you that the neck is fantastic.

How much is the seller asking for it?

Oh I see, I'm not too sure on the price he's looking for, I've emailed him asking how much he's willing to let it sell for so i'm awaiting a reply. Do you know the value of one of these?

Archived