Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Custom

Jim

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a while, especially since I had to sell my '68 art and historic Les Paul. Well, after enough bad luck to make the average blues player sound happy, in short order, I met a new lady, got a new job, got a new band and yesterday I got a new guitar! (well, new to me) it is a 2010 Flying V custom in oxblood. Advertised as unplayed and I believe that. What a guitar, just what a guitar. I have an Epi flying V and that is respectable enough, but this, oh my goodness! The tone is to die for, the sustain is measured in days the build quality is among the best in the world, actually better than my '68 Les Paul, but that was aged by Tom Murphy. This guitar produces better jazz tones than my hollow bodied Ibanez, yet it rocks with the best of them, yet even with high gain on the amp the guitar remains so articulate it is possible to squeeze nuances out of the guitar just using different pressure on the pick. Is this possibly the best guitar Gibson have made? Well, for me it is! The oxblood finish is just so subtle, the "Les Paul Appointments" make this guitar look so classy as well, but boy does it have a wicked edge.

Pictures will follow. I am amazed I have put it down long enough to type this, so how long it will take to get a photo is anybodies guess!

Regards to you all

Jim

Awesome to hear about good news and a happy camper among the Gibson faithful. I've always felt that V's and Explorers were among the best guitars put out by any company for ANY kind of music. Jazz comping on a V or Explorer? You betcha!

Hope your good luck streak continues, and would love to see pix as soon as you can!

Hi Jim,

I can buy one of these, but have no chance to play it first. What is the neck profile ?

From what I could find, it should be like R8, R9 - is that right ?

The only reason I haven´t bought it yet is that I am not sure if it would sound any (or enough) different

from my LP Custom 57 RI - all mahog., ebony board.. Only the strings through and of course the shape.

Can you comment on the tone similarities/differences of these 2 guitars?

Thanks,

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim,

I can buy one of these, but have no chance to play it first. What is the neck profile ?

From what I could find, it should be like R8, R9 - is that right ?

The only reason I haven´t bought it yet is that I am not sure if it would sound any (or enough) different

from my LP Custom 57 RI - all mahog., ebony board.. Only the strings through and of course the shape.

Can you comment on the tone similarities/differences of these 2 guitars?

Thanks,

Tom

HI,

So sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, long, long story. If it is of any use to you at all now, the neck profile is R8/9 nat as "baseball bat" as my LP was. It does sound different to the LP, it is brighter and winding off the volume pot will give you tones into Strat territory, Jazz tones are just amazing on the neck pick up, wind the volume pots up and I get everything from an Angus Young "Clean" dirty to virtually a Carlos Santana (Black Magic Woman) sound. It is more SG than Les Paul, but that maybe is the maple cap on the 'paul.

I have been gigging extensively with this and I would sell my soul for it if I had to! Pics WILL follow!

Cheers

Jim

Archived