Gibson Brands Forums

Question regarding Epiphone Thunderbird IV floating bridge

Wearyape

Dear forum members,

I recently bought a 2-year old Epiphone Thunderbird IV bass and I'm really enjoying it. I'd like to lower the action, which seems easy enough to do with the floating bridge screws (I'm assuming that I should let off a little on the string tension first).

However, I'm wondering what the function is of the centre screw closest to the pick-ups. Is it there simply to stabilize the bridge, and so it should stay roughly the same height as the other screws? Or does raising or lowering this screw (changing the angle of the bridge) enable you change the string tension, action or the sound in some way?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and sorry if this has been discussed in another post.

Cheers

Wearyape

The 3 mounting bolt style of the T'Bird bridge is simply replcating the original 60s style Gibson bass bridges so common on many of their basses. The center/forward screw has no function as far as changing string tension it's just one of the 3 bolts needed to raise or lower the action. All three screws should be set at the same height & the bridge should be level to the body.

Archived