Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Fake?

claydots

I have seen this on ebay for at least 6 weeks. I never really looked at it close as I don't need it. Looking at it, the knobs (volume/tone) are way off.

Anybody see anything else or think it might just be poor QC from Epi? I know this seller is a stand-up guy, probably doesn't think that anyone would fake an Epi either.

For 275, it's a good buy but it never sells.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Std-Flame-Top-Korea-/260968944771?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cc2f61483

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but the volume knob on the right looks way off.

Edit. I've just taken a look at the auction. I'd say it's a fake. The volume/tone controls are way out of position and the body shape looks wrong from behind. It's just my opinion. I'm a Gibson man, not an epiphone man, but I've never seen an "epiphone" as bad as that.

Edit2. The stopbar appears to be too far from the bridge. And I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but on the back of the headstock, the word after "Made in" is obscured. Again, I'm not an epiphone man, so I don't know if epiphones normally have the "made in..." on the headstock.

Alarm bells are ringing though. If that is an epiphone, it's a sloppy one. I'd say your friend has a fake but doesn't know it.

Archived