Gibson Brands Forums

My Epiphone Les Paul is a FAKE product?

Hello! How are u guys? (:

I bought this Black Epiphone Les Paul Standard a little over two months. I bought in Brazil, I am here. I played in another and the tone is much better, from in Indonesia. My Epiphone is from China (it is written on the back of the headstock).

I LOVE EPIPHONE LES PAUL. I wonder if they ruined my dream. Can anyone tell me if this is an original Epiphone?

p.s.: I don't speak english very well. I'm sorry.

Link to photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/542/originalorfakeepilespst.jpg

none of those photos give any obvious indiction that your guitar is a fake...in other words, it does not look fake to me

"tone" is subjective and has to do with many things, including string choice and proper set-up...in addition, amp choice plays a major role

did you play both les pauls through the same amp? have you had your guitar set-up properly, including adjusting the pick-up height and pole piece height? what strings are you using?

Hi Charles.. I'm no expert so this may not mean much. The image of the bare wood where the arrow is labeled "What Is This Wood" looks very suspicious to me. It looks like a wood product commonly referred to as MDF which is basically manufactured from scraps of real wood and a resin binder to form solid shapes.

MDF Wikipedia

If you can scratch away particles or granules, instead of splinters of real wood grain, then it's most likely MDF.. and a fake Epiphone.

I would expect that a MDF guitar would be heavier than a real wood or laminated wood model, but I don't have any idea as to how much more it could weigh. A comparison of weight with a real wood Les Paul should be done with the same model for comparison purposes.

The tuners look normal and well aligned, but that's not really a definite sign that the guitar is a genuine Epiphone, IMO.

Any of the parts on a used guitar could have been changed, and the jack plate may have been, but that isn't very important.

I'm guessing that you bought the guitar as a used model from a person, not a dealer. Dealers and people can be confused about real Epiphone models, but a dealer might be willing to allow you to return the guitar if you try.

If the body is MDF, it probably won't sound like a real wood guitar.. but as Dubstar stated, different guitars of the same model will normally always sound different for any number of different reasons.

Bill

Hello! How are u guys? (:

I bought this Black Epiphone Les Paul Standard a little over two months. I bought in Brazil, I am here. I played in another and the tone is much better, from in Indonesia. My Epiphone is from China (it is written on the back of the headstock).

I LOVE EPIPHONE LES PAUL. I wonder if they ruined my dream. Can anyone tell me if this is an original Epiphone?

p.s.: I don't speak english very well. I'm sorry.

Link to photo:

http://imageshack.us/f/542/originalorfakeepilespst.jpg

Dosnet look fake to me either. But it does look like its seen some very high humidity. My understanding is that most of South America is extreamly humid, hence the rusting screws and corosion on the truss rod. The cavity shots all look like typical Epi manufacturing to me.

Archived