Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Special upgrade?

0CT4NE

Hi everyone, so first of all sorry for my english, I'm french :)

So I recently purchased a SG special, and after reading some reviews, I thought about what parts would be the best to upgrade it in the future?

I play all sorts of music, more rock than metal or blues, and I'm beginning for now, so I'm looking for parts that would suit all kinds of music.

So, what parts are adapted for this model? For exemple pickups, strings, bridge, etc. ?

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new SG. I would ask the same question as Pete B. Is there anything in particular at this point that you feel needs to be upgraded? Maybe after you've played it for a while you would have a better idea. A lot can be done with pedals and amps too if you are looking for a particular sound. [smile]

Thanks for your replies :)

Well, I think I'll play it a little to see what I feel could be better with upgrade, but I read somewhere that the default strings rust, for example, and I'd like to know what parts are suited for this kind of guitar. As I said, I'm a beginner on electric, so I don't really know what to change these strings with.

Also, I'd like to change some parts to make it less stock, and more unique ( I plan on doing a custom paint later on ), beside the fact that it will sound better :)

I have a Line6 Spider IV 15W to go with it ( w/ the pre-amp stuff so a pedal isn't really necessary for now)

I play different styles, like Scorpions, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, that's why I'd like multipurpose pickups ( I'm not sur if i'm clear).

Do you use stock pickups or, if not, what pickups and what style do you play w/ ?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my bad english :/

Thanks for your replies :)

Well, I think I'll play it a little to see what I feel could be better with upgrade, but I read somewhere that the default strings rust, for example, and I'd like to know what parts are suited for this kind of guitar. As I said, I'm a beginner on electric, so I don't really know what to change these strings with.

Also, I'd like to change some parts to make it less stock, and more unique ( I plan on doing a custom paint later on ), beside the fact that it will sound better :)

I have a Line6 Spider IV 15W to go with it ( w/ the pre-amp stuff so a pedal isn't really necessary for now)

I play different styles, like Scorpions, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, that's why I'd like multipurpose pickups ( I'm not sur if i'm clear).

Do you use stock pickups or, if not, what pickups and what style do you play w/ ?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my bad english :/

As a generic answer,you could get yourself a set of 'light gauge' strings to replace the factory/default ones..they will make learning less painfull than the medium gauge it possibly has on it,usually people replace the pickups to make thier guitar less stock,one way to check your pickup sound vs. more expensive ones is <if you have local music store> take your guitar and amp to a local store and tell the guy there u want to compare your pickups to something a little nicer.Ask if you can hear a Gibson guitar through your amp,if the guy there is helpfull,he will point out a couple of different types to try,after you have tried one or two,plug YOUR guitar into your amp and see if the sound difference is HUGE or just a little different...you will know right away if you should upgrade the pickups.Good luck.

Is this the 1961 SG Special with P-90's, or the one with HB's?

For HB's, on the Duncan forum a Duncan C5 and '59N are highly recommended. A Rio Grande Bar-B-Que set is also very good.

For P-90's, there's a lot of high-quality P-90's available. A pair of Gibsons is always good.

Archived