Gibson Brands Forums

1950 J-50 Neck Reset

woodsong58

I think he said he was going to remove the back of the guitar so he would have access to the top.

I can tell that you both are amazed and in disagreement with the course of action I have chosen, and I thank you for not tying me to the whipping post for it. I had no idea things would take the direction they did when I posted my initial message. But since the work has already started, it's too late to turn back. Hopefully it will all turn out OK. Otherwise I'll just have to live with the consequences and consider it a lesson learned.

BTW I looked over your website pfox14. I stand in awe of anyone who has the patience and skills to do the kind of work you do.

I think he said he was going to remove the back of the guitar so he would have access to the top.

I can tell that you both are amazed and in disagreement with the course of action I have chosen, and I thank you for not tying me to the whipping post for it. I had no idea things would take the direction they did when I posted my initial message. But since the work has already started, it's too late to turn back. Hopefully it will all turn out OK. Otherwise I'll just have to live with the consequences and consider it a lesson learned.

BTW I looked over your website pfox14. I stand in awe of anyone who has the patience and skills to do the kind of work you do.

You'll get a lot of second-guessing here, but at the end of the day, it's your guitar, and you have to do what you feel is best. Guitar restoration /repair has the same first principle as medicine: "First, do no harm."

Most of us generally try not to judge people, as it's hard to know where someone else is coming from. That doesn't mean we won't give you an opinion.... [biggrin]

I've asked for thoughts and opinions from my first post and I appreciate every one. It's all part of the learning process. What hurts is to be completely ignored. You guys have been polite in every way even though there is disagreement. Thank you very much.

I've asked for thoughts and opinions from my first post and I appreciate every one. It's all part of the learning process. What hurts is to be completely ignored. You guys have been polite in every way even though there is disagreement. Thank you very much.

Please keep us up to date on the result. Some here, like Paul Fox, have built careers around high-quality restoration and repair. Others here, like me, have helped underwrite those careers over decades by adopting guitar "orphans" that were begging to be brought back to life......

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Archived