Gibson Brands Forums

1960-something SG-shaped Melody Maker? Help?

ngr33n

A neighbor of mine was sorting through a hoarder's junk the other day, throwing stuff out, and discovered a bunch of guitars and amps. Among them was a green, SG-shaped guitar with a single white-covered pickup at the bridge, a tremolo arm (with the white thing on the end), white pickguard...from my internet research it looks like it's an SG Melody Maker. Serial Number 800099. He was told by I'm-not-sure-who that it was one of only 62 ever made...anyone know anything about this? I will try to get photos soon...it's really dirty and there's some cracked/chipped paint, but other than that it's in good shape.

Please? Anyone?

If it's an SG shape, we know it was at least made after 1964 and before 1971 most likely. The green finish you're describing could very well be Iverness Green, which was a custom made-to-order color for MM's back then. If so, it's definitely one of the rarer SG Melody Makers.

-Ryan

EDIT: Just ran the serial number through Gibson's database. It places the guitar somewhere between '66 and '69.

Guest carter54

If it's an SG shape, we know it was at least made after 1964 and before 1971 most likely. The green finish you're describing could very well be Iverness Green, which was a custom made-to-order color for MM's back then. If so, it's definitely one of the rarer SG Melody Makers.

-Ryan

EDIT: Just ran the serial number through Gibson's database. It places the guitar somewhere between '66 and '69.

thank you!!g.gif

-Ryan

Thanks! Yeah I looked at the serial number database and stuff too, but I wanted to get more specific. Like I said, I'll try to get some pics soon...he's a busy guy, this neighbor of mine. If it is indeed the MM we suspect, how much would it be worth if he cleaned it up and such?

It depends on the condition. I've seen SG Melody Makers go for as high as $2000 in mint condition, but those were 2 pickup models in custom finishes. If your friend's is a little beat up, you might be able to get $1200-$1500. I'd put that as my starting price, though I'd expect offers around a grand. The SG MM's just aren't in very high demand. Still, the custom finish has collector value in itself.

-Ryan

Hello everybody, I'm writing here because my situation is similar.

There's a tiny guitar shop in my city, they sell a "1962 Gibson", I don't know if the year is correct, I think it could be probably 1968 (but it's strange everybody says it comes from 1962). It is SG-shaped (but it is red with a white pickguard), it has just a white pick up (it seems a single coil) at the bridge, doing my researches I found out it must be a Melody Maker. There's no tremolo bar but the bridge seems to have the hardware to mount one, am I wrong? (you can see that in the picture).

I'm also interested in the value of this guitar, and a comparison between this guitar and ngr33n's one could be helpfull to understand what we are dealing with!

Thank you in advance, sorry for my english!

post-42423-076920000 1333442677_thumb.jpg

post-42423-002688100 1333442699_thumb.jpg

Hello everybody, I'm writing here because my situation is similar.

There's a tiny guitar shop in my city, they sell a "1962 Gibson", I don't know if the year is correct, I think it could be probably 1968 (but it's strange everybody says it comes from 1962). It is SG-shaped (but it is red with a white pickguard), it has just a white pick up (it seems a single coil) at the bridge, doing my researches I found out it must be a Melody Maker. There's no tremolo bar but the bridge seems to have the hardware to mount one, am I wrong? (you can see that in the picture).

I'm also interested in the value of this guitar, and a comparison between this guitar and ngr33n's one could be helpfull to understand what we are dealing with!

Thank you in advance, sorry for my english!

post-42423-076920000 1333442677_thumb.jpg

post-42423-002688100 1333442699_thumb.jpg

It's definitely NOT a 62, they didn't start making the SG MM's until 65. Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock? Post it here and I can get you a year of manufacture. I'd say it would be around the same value as the OP's, but it depends on condition.

-Ryan

It's definitely NOT a 62, they didn't start making the SG MM's until 65. Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock? Post it here and I can get you a year of manufacture. I'd say it would be around the same value as the OP's, but it depends on condition.

-Ryan

Thank you so much, the serial is 900481

Archived