Gibson Brands Forums

1934 L5

ACollector

I am curious as to why this beautiful guitar went "out of production"?

Low demand? Costs were too high for the sales price? Too nostalgic?

I have observed that non-cutaway, thinly carved, highly resonant, acoustic archtops are experiencing somewhat of a renaissance in the custom luthier archtop world.

Maybe Gibson should consider either repricing it or introducing a more up to date looking model? What about a non-cutaway, current looking (you guessed it) acoustic L5? A little bit of Abalone and a lot of highly figured wood would get me to the cash register!

1334105602[/url]' post='1175505']

I am curious as to why this beautiful guitar went "out of production"?

Low demand? Costs were too high for the sales price? Too nostalgic?

I have observed that non-cutaway, thinly carved, highly resonant, acoustic archtops are experiencing somewhat of a renaissance in the custom luthier archtop world.

Maybe Gibson should consider either repricing it or introducing a more up to date looking model? What about a non-cutaway, current looking (you guessed it) acoustic L5? A little bit of Abalone and a lot of highly figured wood would get me to the cash register!

Not sure why they don't make it but the Custom Shop reissued an L10 Chet Atkins in 2006. Great acoustic

e0255f37.png

They did make a 1934 L5 reissue. I had one for a while and it was a very nice guitar. Loved the neck, and very good tone for a new guitar. I bought it used on eBay and kept it until I bought a 1947 L7 which I've just traded and now getting a 1947 L5. The new ones are great, but there are still a lot of great used ones from the 30s and 40's that aren't too expensive yet... especially if you'll go with an L7, L10, L4, etc. There are a lot of nice Gibson arch tops out there for $3K or less.

Archived