Gibson Brands Forums

Rumblekat pickups - phase question

ikay

I've just acquired a used Epi Allen Woody and noticed that the mini humbuckers are wired out of phase. When both pickups are turned all the way up the sound becomes very trebly and loses bottom end. I've checked the pickups using a multimeter and sure enough they are out of phase.

The pups have separate wires for hot, cold and earth so it's an easy fix to swap over the hot/cold wires on one of them, but I'm now curious whether they are intended to be out of phase.

Sounds unlikely but the reason I'm even asking is that there are some useful tones on offer around the point where the balance of the second 'out of phase' pup just starts to bite (around the '8' mark). The Woody has a very full bottom end and this adds a little edge and tightens up the low end without losing it altogether. On the other hand, with both pups up full it does lose a lot of bottom end which doesn't seem right.

If anyone reading this has an Allen Woody can you please let me know what the sound is like on yours with both pups maxed?

Thanks

I've just acquired a used Epi Allen Woody and noticed that the mini humbuckers are wired out of phase. When both pickups are turned all the way up the sound becomes very trebly and loses bottom end. I've checked the pickups using a multimeter and sure enough they are out of phase.

The pups have separate wires for hot, cold and earth so it's an easy fix to swap over the hot/cold wires on one of them, but I'm now curious whether they are intended to be out of phase.

Sounds unlikely but the reason I'm even asking is that there are some useful tones on offer around the point where the balance of the second 'out of phase' pup just starts to bite (around the '8' mark). The Woody has a very full bottom end and this adds a little edge and tightens up the low end without losing it altogether. On the other hand, with both pups up full it does lose a lot of bottom end which doesn't seem right.

If anyone reading this has an Allen Woody can you please let me know what the sound is like on yours with both pups maxed?

Thanks

I don't know anything about the wiring so can't give you info about that.

But my low end does not change with both pups full on. There is a different sound of course, but still the same lows.

Hope that helps.

Thanks shonencello, I've swapped over the hot wire on the neck pickup and it now sounds as it should with full bass response in all settings. Looks like it was wired out of phase at the factory by mistake. Very odd! Cheers

Archived