Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever get a warranty based refund?

canon_mutant

Sorry for the length . . .

Just cuz I love the guitar [when it actually works], great playability, sound diversity, and looks, I was going to do the HSH/CSC mod to mine others have done so I would have a guitar I could reliably use but then decided I'd rather mod it more like my Carvin TL60T so I could keep blended piezo functionality "that works" on the regular output "which I do use". So, I would just gut it, keeping all the stock crap in tact and in a drawer, and while I am at it put in a 57 Classic/Classic Plus pup combo I prefer anyway, and just have a HB volume and tone and a Piezo volume and tone <= piezo tone is very useful on my Carvin. So, if I ever sell it I can offer the stock electronics to a purist that wants to "look at it" or electronics that actually work to someone that wants to actually play it or both.

But, since that will invalidate my warranty that's good until Sept. and likely devalue the guitar too, I am wondering if anyone has ever just gotten a refund out of Gibson because they can't fix it due to its design?

To date, my local authorized service center can't fix it in 3 tries. The next step is an RMA to Gibson but I asked the guy I talked to if there was a known fix for crackling, popping, volume drop, and ground noise that so many have had and when he wouldn't even acknowledge any "KNOWN" issues with the Lifeson Axcess my faith that they will fix it if I ship it back is NIL. Meanwhile, I'll risk shipping damage or complete destruction or loss/stolen in transit on a guitar that "for me" is not replaceable though it would be insured.

FWIW, I bought AL-230 Lifeson ES-355 in 2008 and literally tripped over AL-230 Lifeson Axcess in Wine Red on MF.com just out there looking for strings. A Lifeson Axcess ad popped up on their home page and I clicked on it and there it was => AL-230. It was like a sign from the guitar gods or something and I did an impulse buy which I don't normally do. That said, I have had a couple of luthier/collectors tell me that both Lifesons "as a same S/N set" are likely already worth more than I have in them to the right collector. True? Who knows but if my AL-230 Axcess were damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen I wouldn't want another serial number replacement just so I could go through all this AGAIN.

So, was just wondering if I should just get a refund IF I CAN and buy something that works BEFORE I "fix it" or for that matter TWO somethings that work, maybe three [$4K]. I am completely confident I can fix it to my liking but there's this little voice telling me "don't do it!" But if I'm going to risk shipping it back to Gibson it better just be for a refund.

Sorry for the length . . .

Just cuz I love the guitar [when it actually works], great playability, sound diversity, and looks, I was going to do the HSH/CSC mod to mine others have done so I would have a guitar I could reliably use but then decided I'd rather mod it more like my Carvin TL60T so I could keep blended piezo functionality "that works" on the regular output "which I do use". So, I would just gut it, keeping all the stock crap in tact and in a drawer, and while I am at it put in a 57 Classic/Classic Plus pup combo I prefer anyway, and just have a HB volume and tone and a Piezo volume and tone <= piezo tone is very useful on my Carvin. So, if I ever sell it I can offer the stock electronics to a purist that wants to "look at it" or electronics that actually work to someone that wants to actually play it or both.

My thoughts... when ever you do a "reversible" mod to a guitar like the McDLT (proper name) you should of course keep the original parts in case the next owner wants that. Another option for you to consider is to do the McDLT and then blend the signal later in the signal chain, prior to it getting to the amp. There are volume pedals that can do this kind of thing.

FWIW, I bought AL-230 Lifeson ES-355 in 2008 and literally tripped over AL-230 Lifeson Axcess in Wine Red on MF.com just out there looking for strings. A Lifeson Axcess ad popped up on their home page and I clicked on it and there it was => AL-230. It was like a sign from the guitar gods or something and I did an impulse buy which I don't normally do. That said, I have had a couple of luthier/collectors tell me that both Lifesons "as a same S/N set" are likely already worth more than I have in them to the right collector. True? Who knows but if my AL-230 Axcess were damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen I wouldn't want another serial number replacement just so I could go through all this AGAIN.

Your matched set is probably worth more to the right buyer, if you can find such a person. You could test it out on eBay by offering both of them together with a high reserve price I suppose. If it is worth substantially more you could use the cash to buy replacements that aren't matching and pocket the difference, then mod the replacement Axcess as you see fit.

So, was just wondering if I should just get a refund IF I CAN and buy something that works BEFORE I "fix it" or for that matter TWO somethings that work, maybe three [$4K]. I am completely confident I can fix it to my liking but there's this little voice telling me "don't do it!" But if I'm going to risk shipping it back to Gibson it better just be for a refund.

If they can't replicate the problem you probably aren't going to get a refund. And even if they can, I would have my doubts. They would probably prefer to replace it or fix it.

Thanks appreciate the thoughts!

You know I said my local dealership couldn't fix it, in reality they don't think they duplicate it. But that's not totally true. On the 2nd trip, right out of the box, it was doing the snap crackle pop Rice Krispies crap and the tech flipped the pup selector switch back and forth and it quit so he first shot some switch cleaner down in it and then replaced the switch.

When I got home though, I had ZERO piezo output and snap crackle pop was back. I took it back and he couldn't duplicate anything and said it would be pointless to bring it back again because he believed the problem was "in the circuit board".

So, called Gibson and got an RMA number but then started having 2nd thoughts about shipping it [over $50 my expense UPS ground to them] just so they could no fault found it and send it back.

You are right that the piezo and HBs could be easily blendable post output . . . I already have an A or B, A and B footswitch and a volume pedal but it's just too nice to have it at your finger tips. Carvin does it with a center position pot so you're all out to 50/50 to all in and like I said a tone control for the piezos is a great thing as these piezos on a hard body tend to be terribly bright as I am sure you know. And the 496/498 HBs are OK as is but [for me] a Classic/Classic Plus would be the bees knees so why not fix it like I want it, play it, enjoy it, keep the old crap electronics for anyone down the line that cares, etc.?

So, think I am going to keep her and fix it. Not really a "fate" person but my god, I wanted just some strings that particular day but eventually a wine red traditional [ those 57s! [love] ] but I am also a tremolo freak and to literally trip over AL-230 in wine red which brings it ALL together IF IT WORKS . . . yeah, I think I should make the guitar work and keep it. Just needed a sanity check! [unsure]

BTW, talked with Gibson CS and they have done exchanges before if a guitar is unrepairable but unrepairable generally means they a ) duplicated the problem(s) and b ) could not repair said problems. As others have done, if they duplicate, they resolder some wires or circuit board grounds and ship it back OR a few have gotten a new Lifeson Axcess as a replacement only to have the same problems with it. If they don't duplicate the problem then it is no fault found back to the customer.

But, again, the CS was unaware of ANY problems related to the Lifeson Axcess nor were then any in his database. I asked for a supervisor and none were available but CS said they would say the same thing.

I got an RMA replacement. It was also defective.

I'd just keep it and do the McDLT mod. Another option that no one has mentioned may be to replace the Graphtech circuit board with whatever is in the Carvin, assuming it's available to end users. I'd be interested to know if that's even possible.

I got a full refund for mine. A bit sad, since I loved the guitar. Loved everything about it, except the noise. So I got a full refund and got an ESP instead. I got my refund from Luthman ( Gibson Norway ), so it probably won't help you much. But I sent a letter with the guitar where I described the problem, attached links to the post on this site with others having the same problem, and a link to my video on youtube where I demonstrate the problem.

The answer I got from the person who was supposed to fix it ( I spoke to him personally ) was that there was actually nothing wrong with my guitar, but by looking at the way it was designed, he said I couldn't expect anything else. Well Gibson never told me this guitar was noisy as hell. So after 3 months I got my money back.

Whatever you do, good luck. And remember, there's plenty of other dimes out there ;)

Archived