Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk Delivered

rednefceleb

My Antigua Burst Nighthawk was delivered the other day. Epiphone left the setup to me. I'm glad that they did. Mine arrived with a loose truss and all six saddles were at full height.This guitar set up like a dream. First I lowered each saddle as far as I could without buzz. Then I used the truss wrench and tightened it up maybe one full turn. With that, my strings were closer than "credit card measurement". I was happily surprised that not one note buzzed at all. I put on a different set of strings. The Grover machines are a dream. It's also a light guitar. I'm going to file the frets to smooth out the neck edges. This axe is worth upgrading. Bridge saddles/(Callaham)/ Duncan Humbuckers /and a Benson single coil made for Nighthawks. I love this guitar.

Amazing ain't it? Thats how mine is....action stupid low w/o buzz. Wait till you get the saddles on ! Also, please do report on how the benson sounds in it. And note that he told me in a email he can wind it any way you want with any magnets you want.

I don't have a digital camera. Thanks for the info on the Benson custom winds. $36 is a great price. When I took off the control cavity cover I noticed traces of rubbing compound or a wax. They polish these things. Is this lacquer? Of course I remove all the funky stickers. I am still trippin' on this bookmatched top. I bought 12 sets of regular gauge .10/.46 Dean Markley strings for $2.50 per set from Musician's Friend. Not a bad price. The strings that came with the 'Hawk were sub par. (not a complaint). Also: the fretboard on mine is not rosewood, it's ebony. It also appears to be oven baked. Baking removes moisture that causes the neck to warp more easily. I don't have a guitar with P-90's anymore. I was just looking at this '61 SG w/P-90's that comes in cherry and TV yellow...

Archived