Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Special II

dratdog

Just wondered if anyone has found a suitable replacement for the tuners on a Epi Les Paul Special II? I am going to replace the nut and while I'm at it, I want to do the tuners also. I am hoping that someone has found a good direct replacement for them and could share the info with me. I'm hoping not to enlarge the tuner holes, but if its necessary then I have no choice. I know its a cheap guitar but want to get it into working order for my son to start playing. If anyone has any other modding advice for this guitar please feel free to share it. I think the pups are going to stay. In most cases a new set of humbuckers would equal, or even exceed the cost of the whole guitar.

Hi Drat, welcome to the forum. There may not be diecast (sealed) tuners that will fit the existing holes in the headstock.

The factory holes are likely to be 8mm/5/16" diameter, and the upgrade sealed diecast versions I've seen require the holes to be enlarged, but not by very much.

There are lots of helpful suggestions for upgrades and modifications in the DIY thread..

Link to DIY HELP Thread

FWIW, the original covered tuners are reliable, the button stems just get a bit loose after a lot of use or rough handling.. but they can be tightened up again by removing the tuners and popping the covers off.

I generally make sure the peg gear screw is firmly tightened, then crimp/pinch the C-shaped sections which hold the stems with a plier, which removes the excessive wiggle/looseness of the stems. A very tiny dab of grease is optional, and they'll be in good shape for quite a while.

BTW, the sealed diecast tuners aren't completely without issues, either.. the button securing screws need to be kept firmly tightened or the string tension will pull the button stem thru the housing and jam, which may require the string to be cut to relieve the tension so the button screw can be tightened properly.

The sign of a loose tuner button screw is the stem sticking out of the back side of the tuner housing..

6157436172_795f7e5772_z.jpg

Bill

Just wondered if anyone has found a suitable replacement for the tuners on a Epi Les Paul Special II? I am going to replace the nut and while I'm at it, I want to do the tuners also. I am hoping that someone has found a good direct replacement for them and could share the info with me. I'm hoping not to enlarge the tuner holes, but if its necessary then I have no choice. I know its a cheap guitar but want to get it into working order for my son to start playing. If anyone has any other modding advice for this guitar please feel free to share it. I think the pups are going to stay. In most cases a new set of humbuckers would equal, or even exceed the cost of the whole guitar.

Hi Drat, welcome to the forum. There may not be diecast (sealed) tuners that will fit the existing holes in the headstock.

The factory holes are likely to be 8mm/5/16" diameter, and the upgrade sealed diecast versions I've seen require the holes to be enlarged, but not by very much.

There are lots of helpful suggestions for upgrades and modifications in the DIY thread..

Link to DIY HELP Thread

FWIW, the original covered tuners are reliable, the button stems just get a bit loose after a lot of use or rough handling.. but they can be tightened up again by removing the tuners and popping the covers off.

I generally make sure the peg gear screw is firmly tightened, then crimp/pinch the C-shaped sections which hold the stems with a plier, which removes the excessive wiggle/looseness of the stems. A very tiny dab of grease is optional, and they'll be in good shape for quite a while.

BTW, the sealed diecast tuners aren't completely without issues, either.. the button securing screws need to be kept firmly tightened or the string tension will pull the button stem thru the housing and jam, which may require the string to be cut to relieve the tension so the button screw can be tightened properly.

The sign of a loose tuner button screw is the stem sticking out of the back side of the tuner housing..

6157436172_795f7e5772_z.jpg

Bill

Archived