Gibson Brands Forums

late 90's ES 355 used value and question about inputs

Lkdog

Am looking at a nice late 90's ES 355. Figured top, Stoptail, Custom Shop, Nashville made.

What is typical price for this used?

Also- it has two input jacks?

What is that? Were these Stereo???

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Best way to think of it is like the stereo inputs on a keyboard where you have separate jacks for left/mono and right. If you're playing in mono just plug into the first socket and it works as a standard mono guitar. Plugging a jack into the second socket splits the signal so that each pickup now has its own output socket. You need two leads to play in stereo. It's a far better system than the standard stereo jack / Y cable palaver that goes with most 355s. On mine the socket nearer the strap button is the mono one but if you plug into that one and you can only hear one pickup you're in the wrong socket!

Can't help you on value I'm afraid.

J

Hi,

Best way to think of it is like the stereo inputs on a keyboard where you have separate jacks for left/mono and right. If you're playing in mono just plug into the first socket and it works as a standard mono guitar. Plugging a jack into the second socket splits the signal so that each pickup now has its own output socket. You need two leads to play in stereo. It's a far better system than the standard stereo jack / Y cable palaver that goes with most 355s. On mine the socket nearer the strap button is the mono one but if you plug into that one and you can only hear one pickup you're in the wrong socket!

Can't help you on value I'm afraid.

J

Thanks for the info. That is good to know I do not need to do anything special to use it in Mono.

"Nashville" on the orange label is a plus (compared to "Memphis"), but I can't give you an absolute value. Generally speaking, a Nashville ES 355 will be worth about the same as a Nashville ES 335 from the same period. There is little if any premium associated with the 355 over the 335.

"Nashville" on the orange label is a plus (compared to "Memphis"), but I can't give you an absolute value. Generally speaking, a Nashville ES 355 will be worth about the same as a Nashville ES 335 from the same period. There is little if any premium associated with the 355 over the 335.

Thanks.

I am kind of ignorant about what a Nashville label Custom Shop ES 335 from same period might be worth.

Is there a range that might be in the ballpark?

Thanks.

Archived