Gibson Brands Forums

Please help ID my Epiphone?

mcplwray

Good day all

I recently acquired this guitar. I am unsure if it is an Epiphone or been made to look like one. Regardless it plays fantastic hence why I purchased it. There are no inlays except an odd looking inlay on the 12th fret in what looks like abalone or pearl? The headstock is a reverse jackson style and says Epiphone on the headstock in what looks like pearl or abalone inlay as well. It also indicates "made in the USA" followed by a serial number. Neither appear to be stickers. The body is, I believe to be an archtop with black binding. 2 Seymour duncan pickups and a floyd. I did remove the neck and only discovered what looked like a faded epiphone style E in the neck pocket. Nothing was on the neck. Any ideas on what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Had some dificulty uploading a pic. Unfortunately the quality is suffered.

post-34766-065170100 1340206859_thumb.gif

Good day all

I recently acquired this guitar. I am unsure if it is an Epiphone or been made to look like one. Regardless it plays fantastic hence why I purchased it. There are no inlays except an odd looking inlay on the 12th fret in what looks like abalone or pearl? The headstock is a reverse jackson style and says Epiphone on the headstock in what looks like pearl or abalone inlay as well. It also indicates "made in the USA" followed by a serial number. Neither appear to be stickers. The body is, I believe to be an archtop with black binding. 2 Seymour duncan pickups and a floyd. I did remove the neck and only discovered what looked like a faded epiphone style E in the neck pocket. Nothing was on the neck. Any ideas on what this might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Well as a guitar doesn't exist on that forum without a picture, much less an identification can be easily made.

For the revers headstock it seems it could come from an EM serie but no clue about the archtop body

Well as a guitar doesn't exist on that forum without a picture, much less an identification can be easily made.

For the revers headstock it seems it could come from an EM serie but no clue about the archtop body

Yeah, the EMs are the only Epiphones that I can think of that have ever had a reverse headstock. But they had Trapezoid inlays and the EM reissues didnt have reverse heastocks.

Thanks for the assistance all [biggrin] !! I kind if figured it was not made by Epiphone when I bought it, but, liked how it felt when I played it. I was able to negotiate the price down to $100 for it. Not sure why anyone would ever fake or put the Epiphone name on a guitar that does not even closely resemble an Epiphone product. I searched high and low on the internet to try to identify this guitar with no luck. Hence why I figured to put it up here and ask for help in the off chance that it might actually be an Epiphone. Epiphones are not usually my first choice. After reading the thread link provided by RTH I can answer some of the questions there. The inlay at the twelfth fret is definitely not a sticker and is laid in. The pickups are seymour duncan's (surprisingly). After seperating the neck from the body it appears that they do belong together (unless it was a brand new aftermarket neck). There is an unusual 4 screw pattern used and the neck has only those holes in it. Regardless, I am thinking about sanding the headstock down and removing the epiphone name.

Thanks again!

[thumbup]

Archived