Gibson Brands Forums

Kirk Hammett Flying V

mattcran

What does everyone think about the Kirk Hammett Flying V? It struck me as odd. Part of me wants to buy one because is pretty damn cool, but part of me stays away from an investment perspective. I understand he had a similar guitar back in the day, but whenever I think of Kirk Hammett, I instantly picture the ESP with the reverse headstock. In fact, I used to have one of the KH2's. I also thought the duct tape on the back was a litte odd. How will that hold up over the years?

• 6 months later...

What does everyone think about the Kirk Hammett Flying V? It struck me as odd. Part of me wants to buy one because is pretty damn cool, but part of me stays away from an investment perspective. I understand he had a similar guitar back in the day, but whenever I think of Kirk Hammett, I instantly picture the ESP with the reverse headstock. In fact, I used to have one of the KH2's. I also thought the duct tape on the back was a litte odd. How will that hold up over the years?

I personally think it's a bit too hyped up... I haven't played one but all it really seems to be is:

A standard Ebony Flying V

+ active EMGs

+ jumbo frets (instead of the standard smaller Flying V frets)

+ Schaller tuners.

Personally, I think you'd be better off adding in those appointments yourself and saving $3K.

Archived