Gibson Brands Forums

LP100 broken 3-way switch?

MatisS

Hi there,

I just bought brand new Epi Les Paul 100 Ebony few days ago, and after some time I discovered few problems... First of all I noticed that the finish of a pick guard is not really good (unfinished paint job on the edges) and that one of the pickup surroundings is broken and the second one is damaged. I was able to get pass all of this, but today I noticed a malfunction of 3-way selector switch for the pickups. The rhythm and treble positions are fairly ok, but in the center position where both pickups are supposed to kick in, just the treble (bridge I hope) pickup is working. No rhythm signal at all. Do someone have some experience with my issues? It's a great piece of guitar, but I'm worried I'll have to send it back to the seller for these reasons. By the way the serial number is 11022300357 and the logo of Epiphone contains short "n". (I don't know the year and country of my model)

Thanks for any information.

All of the problems are simple and inexpensive to repair if you feel like fixing it yourself. It's a little odd that the "pickup rings" are both broken. It makes me wonder how they got that way. There are several guitar parts stores that carry these rings. E-bay also. As far as the 3 way p'up selector switch, it wouldn't hurt to put in a new (switchcraft) replacement switch. That would last many years. Some outlets for guitar parts: "ALLPARTS" "BEST Guitar Parts" "Stew Mac" etc. Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply...

The neck (rhytm) pickup ring was damaged by overscrewing one of the screws. The pickup signal issue is applicable time to time... Sometimes the neck pickup is working, sometimes the rhythm is working. But not both at a time. Trying to return it to a seller within 3 days, so I'm basically using the ability of piece-for-piece return. We'll see about that. Thanks for now.

Just a little update:

Returned for the second time. I've got a new piece 2011 Indonesia (code 23), everything was ok, except one of the knobs (rhythm tone) was noisy and cutting off the pickup signal in the 9-10 position (cold wiring probably)... I discussed the problem with warranty department of my seller and returned this piece for a quick repair. I hope it will not last for some long time, because even with these problems I still love this guitar for the money!

Archived