Gibson Brands Forums

EMG 81 - potting wax in the metallic Gibson cover

Many guitarists face the annoying "whistle" of the pick-ups, at high volume and beyond. This is a small video demonstration for those who want to solve this problem. I chose this procedure because I used metal Gibson caps for active EMG 81/60 pick-ups. Unless they would be screened, I would have big problems. After the screening, you will have a... different sound, I don't know how to describe it in words.

Materials:

• more candles
  • a container for the melted wax (beer pet)
  • a container for boiling water (pot)
  • pliers
  • cooker / hob
  • tape
  • a hook for hanging the pick-ups (wire)

Method:

Remove the tape covering the isolated coils and the exposed part ( the one black one with screws) if you don't use metal caps, if you want to add caps, it is not necessary. The candles are being break in the beer pet (about a quarter of capacity) then put them above the stove's eye and after a few minutes the wax starts to melt. Add candles until the amount is sufficient to cover the full pick-up (do not put many at one time!) Be careful for the wax not flow over the fire, because it is flammable.

After you have the required amount of melted wax, insert the beer pet into the pot with the hot water and let it at low heat. The pick-ups are introduced by turn, immediately you will see air bubbles rising to the surface. Be patient, leaving the whole air to come out, you can sank the pick-ups several times to be sure that it has no more air. It generally takes about 10 minutes (one pick-up). Remove the pot from the stove and remove the pick-up using a dry towel to immediately clean extra wax. Be careful not to get burned. After this, let the pick-up in some aired zone for about 20 min to completely harden the wax. Metal caps are installed after this first step and then you can repeat the procedure.

Use tape to isolate the coils and attach the metal caps in two ponts on the metalic part of the pick-ups. Very simple, right ?

Archived