Gibson Brands Forums

Light Weight of my 'Hawk

rednefceleb

My Night Hawk is the lightest guitar that I've ever owned (by far). Has this effected resonance and sustain for any of you Blues/Rock players? QUESTION: what wood is used to assemble the N'Hawk body? As I look carefully at the backside of my "Hawk, I notice that it's put together out of several pieces of wood to form the body. I know that Mahogany is heavier than what I am lifting. In any case; I still love my Epiphone. Peace: "Then Play On"

My Night Hawk is the lightest guitar that I've ever owned (by far). Has this effected resonance and sustain for any of you Blues/Rock players? QUESTION: what wood is used to assemble the N'Hawk body? As I look carefully at the backside of my "Hawk, I notice that it's put together out of several pieces of wood to form the body. I know that Mahogany is heavier than what I am lifting. In any case; I still love my Epiphone. Peace: "Then Play On"

It's all mahogany with a maple veneer that adds nothing but looks. Mahogany isn't real heavy, and the hawk has a small body, thin neck, lots of pickup cavity space, and the bridge is going to be lighter than a gibson style bridge and tailpiece. So add it all up and it equates to a very light guitar. May also be an asian variety of mahogany which i believe is lighter. But certainly not light in the tone department because the resonance and sustain IMO is greater than most any electric i've ever had including gibsons and other epi's i've had. It's an amazing guitar.

It's all mahogany with a maple veneer that adds nothing but looks. Mahogany isn't real heavy, and the hawk has a small body, thin neck, lots of pickup cavity space, and the bridge is going to be lighter than a gibson style bridge and tailpiece. So add it all up and it equates to a very light guitar. May also be an asian variety of mahogany which i believe is lighter. But certainly not light in the tone department because the resonance and sustain IMO is greater than most any electric i've ever had including gibsons and other epi's i've had. It's an amazing guitar.

i love my hawk, what weight would make someone who is complaining about the weight happy, for me 10lbs is to heavy, and if you really wanted sustain, get a sustain pedal, and like with any electric you need an amp. you never would just play and or record with just and electric all by itself. All electrics sound the same without an amp. A lot has to do with your setup and your amp. If you have a shitty amp, you get shitty sound, Here is were a good amp comes into play. I have the fender mustang IV and a peavey Vyper, both sound excellent, I heard someone say in one of these forums already , in order to appreciate any amp for that fact , listen to it for what it actually is and turn off all the effects. Slowly add in things that are necessary, like if needed Sustain and others to enhance the sound, not turn on twenty effects with no tweaking and expect it to sound good. Anyway i think my Nighthawk sounds awesome, as is. For what i have, and if you wanna have real good sound also put it through a PA system. later.

Also i was watching the new Gibson Firebird X , they were saying it was made of Swamp Ash, its extremely light. Just to say that is a few thousand bucks for that guitar.

i love my hawk, what weight would make someone who is complaining about the weight happy, for me 10lbs is to heavy, and if you really wanted sustain, get a sustain pedal, and like with any electric you need an amp. you never would just play and or record with just and electric all by itself. All electrics sound the same without an amp. A lot has to do with your setup and your amp. If you have a shitty amp, you get shitty sound, Here is were a good amp comes into play. I have the fender mustang IV and a peavey Vyper, both sound excellent, I heard someone say in one of these forums already , in order to appreciate any amp for that fact , listen to it for what it actually is and turn off all the effects. Slowly add in things that are necessary, like if needed Sustain and others to enhance the sound, not turn on twenty effects with no tweaking and expect it to sound good. Anyway i think my Nighthawk sounds awesome, as is. For what i have, and if you wanna have real good sound also put it through a PA system. later.

Archived